General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accord 2003 V6 3.0L oil pressure light

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 09:57 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

There is no particular sequence or steps to tighten the bolts. Torque spec is 14 ft-lbs or 20 N-M.

However, the shop manual indicates to check clearances of bearing w/ plastigage to assess whether service limit (0.050 inches) of bearing is reached. It is possible you need an oversize bearing, but you start w/ standard bearing (same color code) first and check clearance.

good luck

Old 03-10-2015, 08:14 AM

Thanks for your replies.

Next I did is change the rod bearings to std. Once the oil pan was removed I noticed that everything was really dirty, I wanted to open the head to clean everything above but didnt have time. So I cleaned everything from the oil pan, including the filter.

I put back all together and see if there was a change, I put it a 25w 30 oil and an oil stabilaizer on it. So I turned on my engine and drive test for 30 minutes. I noticed that the oil light only starts blinking at low RPM (500-600) and only when the motor has reached the normal temperature for some minutes after driving.

Someone told that the oil gets "thiner" at higher temperatures so thats why Im using that kind of oil. The car has 150,000 miles on it.

The knocking noise didnt go away. I noticed that it could come from the head, and not from the rod bearings like I was suspecting.

Do you that the oil type it is causing the low oil pressure?
The dirty on th head is making the low oil pressure?
I didnt adjust the valves when I changed the timing belt, this could be making the knocking noise?

Old 03-10-2015, 09:03 AM

Have you checked oil pressure w/ a gauge or changed the oil pressure switch? Many cases of oil pressure light result from faulty oil pressure switch. Suggest this before anything else.

Oil type might make a slight difference, but only if you went to something of higher viscosity such as 20w-50. I'm not optimistic this will make any difference.

More importantly, are you sure it's a rod or main bearing knock and not valves. From your post there seems to be a question. Rod/main knock is a distinctive low pitched clunk, while loose valve is a higher pitched tapping sound. Suggest searching youtube for some examples of knocking and valve train noise.

good luck

Old 03-10-2015, 10:00 AM

Im working on to get borrow a oil pressure gauge. I already changed the oil pressure switch for a "valucraft" one. What pressure should be ok on this engine?

Actually it has a 25w50 oil on it, I made a mistake writing "25w30".

Ill look for the sound as you said in youtube. thanks for the suggetions.

Any other suggets? Does a oil stabilizer really help on this case? what type of oil should I use to help on this case?
Thanks.

Old 03-10-2015, 10:17 AM

Oil stablizer is unlikely to help low oil pressure which is likely since you've replaced the oil pressure switch.

Lots of "knocks" on youtube are not rod/bearing knocks. Here is one that is pretty clear.

You may have an accumulation of loose tolerances on rods and mains leading to low oil pressure at idle.

An oil pressure test is certainly indicated.

good luck

Old 03-10-2015, 10:33 AM
Super Moderator

I'm thinking it is time to have your engine professionally rebuilt or for you to start shopping for a used motor in good condition; the one you have sounds like it is beyond hope without some significant surgery.