General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accord 3.0 EGR Flow

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 08:02 AM
Default Accord 3.0 EGR Flow

2001 Honda Accord 3.0 V6 - 203,000
Regularly serviced, well maintained. CEL came on, was throwing P0401. Cleaned the EGR port, reset CEL and it came on 6 miles after driving. Cleaned the EGR port again, reset CEL and it came on 10 miles after driving. Cleaned the EGR port again, reset CEL and it came on 11 miles after driving. TCS light is coming on and off randomly as well, I know this is a sympton. I decided to replace the EGR valve, light still is coming on. I'm attaching photos of my EGR port, they appear to be very clean...they weren't stopped up in the first place really. Can someone please advise on something else to try, this is very aggrevating. Thanks in advance!

Attached Thumbnails Accord 3.0 EGR Flow-egr-port-1-optimized.jpg   Accord 3.0 EGR Flow-egr-port-2-optimized.jpg  
Old 10-08-2012, 09:56 AM
Super Moderator

I moved your thread from the DIY section to the General Tech Help section.

Please do not post help question in the DIY section per forum rules.

Old 10-08-2012, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator

did you use the diagnostic procedure for the code?

Old 10-08-2012, 10:41 AM

Diagnostic procecure? I had the local auto part store give me the reading through the computer.

Old 10-08-2012, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator

you have to test the valve on the car and see if it stumbles. google the code with your year accord and see if you can find it.

Old 10-08-2012, 11:32 AM

I'm missing something, what do you mean test the valve on the car and see if it stumbles? I replaced the EGR valve with a new one and still got the code after I reset it. I googled 2001 Accord and P0401 and that is why I cleaned the ports, after reading many threads and watching several youtube videos that's what everyone was suggesting. Let me know what you mean my test the valve on the car, I'm lost there?

Old 10-08-2012, 01:32 PM
Super Moderator

you need 2 jumpers with alligator clips. disconnect the electrical connector at the valve. connect the postive (from batt) to the bottom left pin of the six pin connector on the valve. start the car and let it idle. connect the neg (from batt or other known good ground) to the bottom right terminal on the valve. the engine should stumble or stall...if not, either the valve is bad, the ports are plugged (both i'll assume you've addressed) or the computer is bad at that point. computer being bad meaning it's not sending a signal to the valve when it should. clear as mudd, ehh???

Old 10-08-2012, 01:39 PM
Super Moderator

ahhhh...also just found a TSB 99-085. related to your specific problem...intake manifold has to come off to clean out the ports.

http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/tsb/accord/A99-085.pdf

Old 10-08-2012, 01:46 PM

I've have that bulletin, I've removed the intake manifold 3 times. I've just got back to the office after having my catalytic converter checked...it's not stopped up. Had the shop reset my CEL with the computer to make sure I'm not getting a ghost code. Light came on 9.5 miles into the drive. Should I be able to run a coat hanger from the EGR valve all the way through the port to the intake manifold? I really appreciate your help on this.

Old 10-08-2012, 01:55 PM
Super Moderator

i would start with the diagnostic test first. did you perform the service procedure stated in the bulletin?

Quick Reply: Accord 3.0 EGR Flow