General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accord heater control unit

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2022, 07:08 AM
Default Accord heater control unit

The A/C in my 2000 Accord stop working a year or so ago, and I have never gotten the new compressor I bought installed. Come cool weather this year my heater stoped working (it worked last winter). YouTube clips have pointed to fixes on the unit's circuit board. I soldered the jumper wire into place that several clips recommended to no effect. The next recommendation is to de-solder the five capacitors and re-solder them. All of these connections look just fine, would that be just a waste of time, or is that a legitimate possibility?
The board is ridiculously priced as a replacement part, which is why I am exploring even "long-shot" options, but all of the above seems Really unlikely as a cure. Seems to me the most likely problem is a faulty component, in which case the PCB is trash and will have to be replaced no matter what the cost. The sole wrecking yard here that had one wanted about the same price as an OEM piece. Any enlightenment on the subject would be appreciated.

Old 01-06-2022, 07:23 PM
Super Moderator

You may want to try car-part.com. It searches junkyards for parts where you can sort by distance or price. You may find a cheaper option than locally or ebay.

I'm guessing you watched this video on youtube? Do you have the same symptoms, or is your car behaving differently? Circuit Board Repair - 2001 Honda Accord Climate Control Issue

I've had some success replacing capacitors. If you know how to solder, then just redoing the solder joints is a quick fix and may be worth a shot?

Old 01-07-2022, 06:25 AM

Thanks. Yes, my symptoms are basically the same as in several YouTube clips, some who referenced forums for the source of their info. Replacementis a slam-dunk affair but it is hard to justify $400-500 for such a small part on a 21 year old car worth less than $2,000. I will try the sites that you mentioned and give re-soldering a go if necessary. Thanks again for taking the time to respond to my post.