General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

accord overheating issue

Old 08-15-2012, 03:43 PM
Angry accord overheating issue

my 98 accord lx, 2.3 v-tec automatic with ac is having a strange issue, abut 3000 miles ago i replaced a ton of parts, both front axels, power sterring, timing belts,plugs wires,thermostat, replaced all fluids, yesterday i drove about 600 miles,around mile 400 i noticed my heat rising,so i turned off the ac(wich i dont normally use) the heat lowered rapidly,then every few minutes i would notice the heat rising,then lowering again, i blasted the heater attempting to blow off some of that heat, but it still kept rising and lowering, any ideas what could be causing this? im about to flush my radiator,and check my fans(car was to hot to check last night) but hoping someone might have a better idea what was going on, also about 2/3 thru the trip when I started the car the maintenance light flashed a few times after it was started,then went away,anyone know what that means? i think it just means i need to change my oil,although its only been 2,500 miles since i changed it,and the oil filter any help would be appreciated

Old 08-15-2012, 04:55 PM
Super Moderator

This kinda sounds like a bad thermostat (but it's new) or maybe air pockets in the cooling system. Did you bleed the air out? When it's cold, squeeze the radiator hoses & listen for sounds of sloshing water.

Old 08-16-2012, 10:12 AM
Default overheating

after i refilled all the fluids i let the engine idle with the cap off, pretty sure all the air was out, i drove over 2000 miles before this problem arose, ive read that when the ac is is on that both the fans should engage, when i parked it yesterday let it idle and cranked the ac only the driver side fan was working, is this normal? im heading out to flush the system right now, and probably replace the thermostat(then write an angry letter to the business i got the new one from) another thing i noticed is when the car was getting really hot yesterday(only drove 4 miles) i got home,and the radiator cap wasnt hot, took it off,no steam, or anything, im just wondering if maybe the fluid isnt moving around at all, this would be a sign of a bad thermostat though i thought, possibly water pump? this too was just replaced when i did the timing belt roughly 2000 miles ago,thanks for all the help, i really appreciate it

Old 08-16-2012, 10:48 AM

replace thermostat first. use OEM honda parts.

make sure the other fan engages when it gets hot. if not test it my applying battery voltage correctly to the plug. if its dead replace it.

Old 08-16-2012, 04:31 PM
Super Moderator

When you drove home, only 4 miles, it was hot? But the radiator cap wasn't hot? I don't think it can be both ways. If it actually was hot, then the system should at least be pressurized and water would spew out when you opened the cap.

If the thermostat was stuck closed, then the radiator would be cool but it would still be under pressure from the hot water inside the engine. So cool-ish water would spew out of the cap.

Both fans should come on with AC, so you can check the other fan motor with direct battery voltage like doctorbee says.