General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1995 Accord LX Overheating Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 10:17 PM
Default 1995 Accord LX Overheating Issue

Hey there, I'm experiencing an odd overheating issue. I'll try my best to recall the symptoms, but some stuff could seem a bit out of place with a normal overheating issue because I always keep my climate control on the hottest it goes with the inside fans off. To note, my cars never overheated and broken down on the side of the road. Just gotten HOT. (I apologize in advance for the novel you're about to read)

However, I noticed that if I'm cruising about 70mph for a good amount of time my car does start to get hot, that's at 3k rpm. If I drive it like it's stick, and manually select my gears, which I do every now and again because I can, it get's hot. I've noticed if I idle for a while the temp creeps up also. It does a few other things like that and gets hot when it wants to. I haven't replaced the thermostat yet, but I am tomorrow. I tried to yesterday and failed so hard because I thought the temperature sensor on the front of the motor was the thermostat... it wasn't. When I got home I noticed the car was steaming quite a bit, when I looked under the hood I didn't see a leak from it, so I figured it was just the spilt coolant.

With that point, I drove to my buddies house today to change my thermostat, and it wasn't hot. I really cranked the bolts down on the temperature sensor so I thought that the gasket had resealed. He wasn't home so I drove to another buddies house to do it (these houses are only 5 minutes apart, and 5 minutes from my house) and on the way to the second buddies house she started getting hot again. Real hot. I had to put the heat on full blast, which was rough because it was 105F today and humid. I got to my buddies house with the gauge just below the red and a small cloud of steam came out of my hood, and the car was pissing out coolant from that gasket I though had re-sealed. Nope, guess not. So my point, what in the world will cause this? Do I have a half-clogged radiator or something? I noticed when I was driving to the second buddies house when the car was hot my fans weren't on. I never really notice them coming on when the car is running, but they will come on for quite some time when I shut it off. Also, only the fan on the passenger side seems to come on. I don't know what that's about, but I really want this thing to stop overheating so I can get my A/C fixed. ):

Once again, I apologize for the novel, but I figured the more info the better. Anything you guys can offer is appreciated.

Old 06-28-2012, 10:47 PM
Super Moderator

The sensor with the green electrical connector near where the upper radiator hose connects to the engine is temperature switch B.

There is another sensor on the thermostat housing (where the lower radiator hose connects to the engine) that is temperature switch A.

When the engine is cold, remove the radiator cap and tell us if the radiator is filled to the top with coolant.

Also, start up the car, and turn on the a/c (does your a/c work?). Do both fans on the radiator turn on?

Old 06-29-2012, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
The sensor with the green electrical connector near where the upper radiator hose connects to the engine is temperature switch B.

There is another sensor on the thermostat housing (where the lower radiator hose connects to the engine) that is temperature switch A.

When the engine is cold, remove the radiator cap and tell us if the radiator is filled to the top with coolant.

Also, start up the car, and turn on the a/c (does your a/c work?). Do both fans on the radiator turn on?
Well yesterday I opened my radiator cap and it was not filled to the top with coolant, but that's almost obvious because I watched it leak out. My a/c does not work, it just blows air when I turn it on.

Old 06-29-2012, 11:41 AM
Super Moderator

It still might be a bad thermostat. Get a new one in there before going on a wild-goose chase.

But you also need to get that nozzle sealed for the upper radiator hose. The gasket is like an O-ring; and those usually don't re-seal after they get hardened from age & heat.