General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overheating Issue - 94 Accord

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 09:26 AM
IkeRay
Unregistered
Default Overheating Issue - 94 Accord

The car doesn't overheat as long as I constantly check the anti-freeze level. When I turn the car off, the water boils through the overflow and evaporates out. Now the quarky issue...a/c fan is the only one that comes on, but it doesnt come on until I engage the A/C. BUT it stays on after the a/c is disengaged...

Also to note, the radiator fan is NOT coming on at any time.

Old 05-16-2008, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Overheating Issue - 94 Accord

Unplug the fan switch that's in the thermostat housing (LOWER radiator hose, back towards the firewall). Jumper the wires with a paperclip & turn on the key. Do the fans run?

Old 05-16-2008, 10:26 AM

Another easy "neanderthal"-type test would be to reach down to the non-working fan (when the engine is cold) and try to push-pull towards the front of the car and towards the firewall. If there is any play in it, the fan motor is likely shot.
But I also recommend jumpering the wires as JimBlake suggested.

Old 05-16-2008, 10:42 AM

Turn the key to the on position and turn the A/C on with the blower on a low speed. If only one fan is running, tap the one that is inop with the palm of your hand and see if it starts to operate. If it does, the fan motor is worn-out and needs to be replaced.

If the radiator fan motor is bad, the Honda dealer will have to know what brand you have....Ifthe fan has 5 blades, it is a ND brand...If it has 4 blades, it is a Toyo brand.

Hope this helps.

Ed Brian
Accurate Automotive, Inc.
www.accuratecars.com

Old 05-16-2008, 06:44 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/OVE...m_20999/tm.htm

chk the above link,, hope it helps..

Also if it does turn out to be a bad fan motor DO NOT get it from Honda dealer, they charge $ 230-240 for a fan motor

get a motor at Autozone ,$ 40-50 , or better yet,some radiator shops sell the motor assembly for around 90-100 dollars ,, comes complete with motor, blade, shroud ,,, all you do is remove the 4 ,10 mm bolts, unplug the connector, you might have to disconnect the top rad hose , gives you more room to remove the assembly and then just reinstall the new one in ,,

http://www.usaradiator.com/HONDA--ACCORD--1994.html

I have installed dozen of these and they hold up pretty good ..

Old 05-16-2008, 06:59 PM

When buying and installing that AutoZone fan motor.....Remember that you get what you pay for....That especially holds true in the automotive field.

How long has that first fan motor lasted?

While I am not a buy-every-part-from-Honda-dealership guy, I do believe in either buying and replacing with Genuine Honda or the OEM.

Don't use that Autozone CRAP!!!

Ed Brian
Accurate Automotive, inc.
www.accuratecars.com

Old 05-16-2008, 08:19 PM

ORIGINAL: hondaed

When buying and installing that AutoZone fan motor.....Remember that you get what you pay for....That especially holds true in the automotive field.

How long has that first fan motor lasted?

While I am not a buy-every-part-from-Honda-dealership guy, I do believe in either buying and replacing with Genuine Honda or the OEM.

Don't use that Autozone CRAP!!!

Ed Brian
Accurate Automotive, inc.
www.accuratecars.com

****BUMP**** some things should just stay OEM....