General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accord Radio turns ON when the car is OFF 2005

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2019, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by avsupertek
This resistor is inside the radio, you must remove the CD drive to get to the PC board. The connector to the face plate is pretty fragile so take care to get it lined up when putting the face back together. Use a small soldering iron with a surface mount tip, tools are worth the $$$ to save the radio. Scrape the paint off the pc board adjacent to the resistor, get it hot enough to take the solder. After you're done soldering, clean with XYLOL or enamel reducer, alcohol is conductive and will leave a path between circuits, Lacquer thinner will eat the parts on the board.

What is the best soldering tool to use for this fix?

Old 03-18-2019, 06:01 AM

The soldering iron that I use is a Weller model WTCP with the small tip for surface mount like a PTR7. I believe the ETS or ETOB made by Apex will also work with this iron. There are many soldering irons that will work. The best are temperature controlled at 700 to 800 degrees F.

Old 10-05-2021, 08:06 AM

How did you get the circuit board out of the vehicle?

I have somewhat similar issue -- my speakers will be playing fine and them there will be a loud pop/thump and they'll go out -- and I'm pretty sure it's an electrical short of some kind.

Old 10-06-2021, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by MelB
How did you get the circuit board out of the vehicle?

I have somewhat similar issue -- my speakers will be playing fine and them there will be a loud pop/thump and they'll go out -- and I'm pretty sure it's an electrical short of some kind.
I don;t think this is the same issue, Mine would always play fine while driving, It was an issue where it would come on while the car was OFF. The loud pop/ thump sounds like the amplifier in the radio, possibly the part mounted on the heat sink. Check those solder connections and on the power amp.
As far as getting the circuit board out, you must pull the whole radio and the CD player out of the radio to get at it.
Ken