General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accord SRS unit - anyone had their's replaced by dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 01:27 PM
Memory
Unregistered
Default Accord SRS unit - anyone had their's replaced by dealer?

Hi - I have read the other posts concerning SRS lights being on, but they seem to end just before the information I need. Like another member, I was given the diagnostic code 5-8 (internal SRS failure) by the dealership service dept. I inquired with Honda's consumer affairs department and two other dealerships to determine if the extended warranty would apply. According to consumer affairs, the warranty covers a faulty OPDS and a faulty sidebag indicator. According to the dealerships, diagnostic code 5-8 does not fall under the extended warranty. The service rep at one dealer (who I think was reading from a computer database) said that either the unit has failed or the battery charge to the system is low.
My question is - has anyone actually had the SRS (not the OPDS) unit replaced? Does the light mean that the airbags may or may not deploy? Two service reps have quoted an estimate of $1K for parts and labor. Is that normal? I would think that a system like that doesn't just randomly fail but, if it did, the manufacturer would cover it. For $1K, I might consider replacing the car instead . . . until then, I'll be driving on the Beltway with a malfunctioning safety system.

My car - 2000 Honda Accord EX V-6 4 door sedan automatic 94,000 miles.

Thanks!

Old 11-29-2007, 06:07 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Accord SRS unit - anyone had their's replaced by dealer?

They fail occasionally, usually that code is caused by a low voltage condition. Have you tried reseting the system? Does it recode right away?

Old 11-30-2007, 05:18 AM

agreed, always clear the code, tested the battery and alternator, and go from there. i have replaced these (expensive) control units for repeat codes.

your air bags will not deploy if the srs light is on.

Old 11-30-2007, 07:43 AM
Memory
Unregistered

Thanks for the quick response! I'll try that this weekend and let you know how it goes.

Old 11-30-2007, 09:42 PM
my350z8
Unregistered

I just had to have the SRS control unit replaced in the wife's 99 Accord. One dealer wanted $430 ($300 for srs unit+130 labor). I did some research and found the part online (search oem honda parts) and found the part for $136.00 (oem part from a Honda dealer). Asked second dealer if they would match that price. They did and labor was $170. Back on road for $306. Rosen Honda in Gurnee IL. Great service. Hope this helps.

Old 12-04-2007, 10:24 AM
Memory
Unregistered

I took my car to a second dealer this morning . . . they (obviously) had the same code pop up, but the technician just reset it according to Honda recommendation and said that if the SRS light came on again, he would recommend replacing the SRS unit. Maybe it's because I live in the metro DC area that the dealers are quoting me upwards of $800 . . . I wouldn't be as bent out of shape for $400. Thanks for everyone's input!

Old 12-04-2007, 06:58 PM

you can get it online for cheap($400-$500 depending on the store) and install it yourself very easily. let us know if it recodes and you want to go that route.