General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

ACETONE added in gas increases mileage ?????

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 02:40 AM
Default ACETONE added in gas increases mileage ?????

I ran across this on the web. It stated that addind approx 2 ounces per full tank could increase your mileage by 15-35%.

Anyone ever hear of this?

I was searching the web an ran across this. Has anyone heard of this before?

Acetone In Fuel Said to Increase Mileage
Readily-available chemical added to gas tank in small proportion improves the fuel's ability to vaporize completely by reducing the surface tension that inhibits vaporization of some fuel droplets.

by Louis LaPointe
Adapted by Sterling D. Allan and Mary-Sue Haliburton
with LaPointe's permission for Pure Energy Systems News

See also, Acetone Data • FAQ

Acetone (CH3COCH3) is a product that can be purchased inexpensively in most locations around the world, such as in the common hardware, auto parts, or drug store. Added to the fuel tank in tiny amounts, acetone aids in the vaporization of the gasoline or diesel, increasing fuel efficiency, engine longevity, and performance -- as well as reducing hydrocarbon emissions.

How it Works

Acetone
A colorless, volatile liquid with a sweet odor. It is considered the least toxic solvent in industry. It can occur naturally. It is used in the production of lubricating oils, chloroform, pharmaceuticals, pesticides, paints, varnishes and lacquers. If present in water, it is more likely to volatilize or biodegrade before bioaccumulating or adsorbing to sediments. Acetone will also readily volatilize and biodegrade in soil. It is also a common laboratory contaminant, so its presence in a sample does not always indicate its presence in the environment. Synonyms - Dimethylketone and 2-propanone.
-- Environmental Terms Glossary
(U.S. Military)

Additive: changes the specifications of the base it is added to

Complete vaporization of fuel is far from perfect in today's cars and trucks. A certain amount of residual fuel in most engines remains liquid in the hot chamber. In order to be fully combusted, the fuel must be fully vaporized.

Surface tension presents an obstacle to vaporization. For instance the energy barrier from surface tension can sometimes force water to reach 300 degrees Fahrenheit before it vaporizes. Similarly with gasoline.

Acetone drastically reduces the surface tension. Most fuel molecules are sluggish with respect to their natural frequency. Acetone has an inherent molecular vibration that "stirs up" the fuel molecules, to break the surface tension. This results in a more complete vaporization with other factors remaining the same. More complete vaporization means less wasted fuel, hence the increased gas mileage from the increased thermal efficiency.

That excess fuel was formerly wasted past the rings or sent out the tailpipe but when mixed with acetone it gets burned, though the engine still thinks it is running straight gas.

Acetone allows gasoline to behave more like the ideal automotive fuel which is PROPANE. The degree of improved mileage depends on how much unburned fuel you are presently wasting. You might gain 15 to 35-percent better economy from the use of acetone. Sometimes even more.

How Much to Use

Add in tiny amounts from about one part per 5000 to one part per 3000, depending on the vehicle -- just a few ounces per ten gallons of gas. This comes to between 0.0003 % to 0.0025 % acetone maximum or approximately 1/15th of one-percent. Note that is around .78 cc per liter or one ounce per 10 gallons. Not more than three oz. per 10 gallons.

Figure 1:
Percentage MILEAGE GAIN when a tiny amount of acetone is added to fuel. The curves A B C show the effect on three different cars using different gasolines. Some engines respond better than others to acetone. The D curve is for diesel fuel. Too much acetone decreases mileage slightly due to adding too much octane to the fuel. Too much additive would upset the mixture ratio because acetone (like alcohol) is a light molecule and tends to lean the mixture.

Metric Conversions
calculator
One fluid ounce (US) is equal to 29 milliliters. Ergo, a 100 ml. graduated cylinder would be a suitable choice for this project.

Ten gallons (US) = 40 liters
(As there are three zeroes after the decimal point before you get to any numerals, I think that can be ignored to make the numbers easier.)

Note that the UK/Canada old imperial system is not the same as US imperial measurements:
Gallons (UK)
A British imperial capacity measure (liquid or dry) equal to 4 quarts or 4.545 liters.
Gallons (US)
United States liquid unit equal to 4 quarts or 3.785 liters.
-- Mary-Sue Haliburton, PESN

After you first find the best gasoline in your area, then try the acetone amount for your car per ten gallons, and if you are happy with your newfound mileage, you might want to try stopping the use of acetone for a couple of tanks. Watch the drop in mileage. It will amaze you. That reverse technique is one of the biggest eye openers concerning the use of acetone in fuel.

In a 10-gallon tank of gasoline, use one to three ounces of pure acetone to obtain excellent mileage improvements. In a ten-gallon tank of diesel fuel, use from 1 to 2 ounces of acetone. Performance goes up too. Use about a half-teaspoon of acetone in the fuel tank of a 4-cycle lawnmower or snowblower. Or you can apply it with an eyedropper.

Where to Get Acetone

The pure acetone label is the only additive suggested and is easily available from most drug stores in 16-ounce plastic bottles and in one-gallon containers from some large fleet farm supply stores. But any acetone source is better than none. Containers labeled acetone from a hardware store are usually okay and pure enough to put in your fuel. We prefer cans or bottles that say 100-percent pure. The acetone in gallons or pints we get from Fleet Farm are labeled 100 % pure. The bottles from Walgreen say 100 % pure. Never use solvents such as paint thinners or unknown stuff in your gas. Toluene, benzene and xylene have been okay if they are pure but may not raise mileage except when mixed with acetone. However the aromatics also raise octane.

Adding Acetone to Your Tank

When you fill up with fuel, note the number of gallons added, then calculate the right amount of acetone to add. Less is more. Remember all gasoline is different. Some will work better than others in the presence of acetone which is strictly a vaporization tool, rather than a fuel additive that alters combustion. The car computer still thinks it is running straight gasoline. None of your settings are altered. None of your engine parts are affected. Check out ScanGauge for an inexpensive MPG device.

Some stores sell acetone in metal cans of various sizes, which are safe to keep indoors. However, it is difficult to pour from these cans, which have a flat top and short neck from which spillage is inevitable. In any case, while handling acetone, you should be wearing rubber gloves.

One option is to get a small graduated cylinder (available from science supplies store or some pharmacies). The small ones have larger intervals between markings so that it is easier to fill them to the level desired. The narrow cylinder can be held to the neck of the can to catch all drips. Then from the cylinder you can pour neatly into the tank. The small pouring spout suitable for laboratories prevents drips onto the paint.

Being etched with neat lines at each milliliter, these graduated cylinders are also good for measuring precise amounts -- in ounces or milliliters.

Additional Benefits

In addition to increased mileage acetone added to fuel boasts other benefits such as increased power, engine life, and performance. Less unburned fuel going past the rings keeps the rings and engine oil in far better condition.

A tiny bit of acetone in diesel fuel can stop the black smoke when the rack is all the way at full throttle. You will notice that the ex

Old 04-10-2006, 05:00 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: ACETONE added in gas increases mileage ?????

never tried it....wish i had a crappy car to try it on. you guys all try it and let me know how it goes lol

Old 04-10-2006, 03:50 PM

Okay so this thread had me curious... I read through about 4 pages of another forum and here's what I've concluded... Acetone in small doses will increase your fuel mileage. However, you'll pay the price over a long term. Acetone floats on gas, so over an extended period of time you wind up with a layer of floating acetone making your mixture a bit higher than you want. That being said Acetone has a damaging effect on rubber and some other materials OVER a period of time. (see webiste 1)

http://www.coleparmer.com/techinfo/chemcomp.asp

Conclusion: sure it'll work but if you keep doing it then you're going to be replacing parts more quickly than you want.

Old 04-10-2006, 09:48 PM

I have a E 150 work van

Old 04-10-2006, 09:51 PM

And i'm will to try this. I put moth ball in the tank to see if i notice a difference (after adding about 20 i notice nothing). I have some acetone at work I'll try it tomorrow.

Old 04-10-2006, 09:51 PM

I'll triple the dose!!

Old 04-11-2006, 01:51 PM

As was noted it will probably work... but if you keep doing it for a long period of time it's going to eat away at various parts in the fuel system...

Old 04-11-2006, 10:01 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

http://www.kettering.edu/news/archiv...p?storynum=406

as always , like anything there are the pros and the cons..

Old 04-12-2006, 03:16 AM
Administrator

Dang Nab It DesertHonda, your the man with the "I know where to find that info at"..Great job and Great post..The forum members Thank You for the information..

WheelBrokerAng [sm=smiley32.gif]

Old 04-12-2006, 04:28 PM
Slither1989
Unregistered

I actually heard the guy speaking on the radio one evening, then i went to his site. A note to one of the above replies about damaging the rubber/plastic. This guy had soaked parts in various concentrates of gas (for years in some tests) and acetone and even parts in pure acetone with no damages found to the parts. 2 or 3 ounces to 10 or 15 gallons of fuel is pretty diluted. It seems to mix with gas pretty well and not float on it either. Try it in a jar....

I did try this in my V-6 Legend. It did give me a slight increase in mileage and the car also felt more responsive and smooth. A liter can cost about $10.00. It never seems to pour correctly. (more goes on your hands) Acetone is paint stripper so watch out. There are warnings all over the can about the fumes and skin contact etc. So I declined to continue using it because of those reasons. I have used just a store bought injection cleaner thats a red colour. I get the same result when I add that. (In Canada its Canadian tire's own brand it goes on sale about once a month in a bulk bottle)

The article I read also said you should have a better effect on a 4 cylinder car rather than cars with 6 or 8 so it would be nice if someone tested that out.

One other thing I did find when you read the whole story (go to the website and read throught it) is that some gases you purchase are of a higher quality then others for various reasons. Using certain companies gas rather than others will effect mileage as well. That seemed true but again how much bother vs. gain makes this all worth changing your habits over?

You really have to have the "cocktail" right for this to be a long term benefit. It's too much trouble for me to become a garage chemist.