General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Adding Homelink to Accord EX-L

Old 09-25-2009, 08:22 PM
Eric Kam
Unregistered
Default Just installed the College Hills Honda Modded HomeLink Transmitter

I have a 2.4 Accord EX-L Navi and decided I want HomeLink.

I bought the kit from College Hills Honda after watching their podcast on how to install it.

Very straightforward.

I saw the concern about the battery. Their mod is nicely done. That's not to say that it wouldn't be nice to have it permanently powered.

If you can't live with your garage door opener hanging from the visor the kit works great.

The folks at College Hills were very responsive to my emails as well.

I'm considering buying the Honda brand bluetooth unit for my 07 Ody EX, though the installation of that looks a bit more involved and I'm still trying to figure out if I might be happier with an aftermarket unit.

At any rate, nice to be here.

My name is Eric.

Old 09-28-2009, 07:24 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome newbie!
Glad you're happy with the new kit.

Old 04-28-2010, 12:51 PM

Did this work. i am looking into the same thing

Old 09-18-2017, 03:58 PM

I have a Honda Accord 2012 , with a sunroof , and I want to upgrade it to home link, I bought one from ebay, but now I dont know what wires to conect to make the fourth connector, Can anybody help me please

Old 09-21-2017, 11:10 AM

I just got a new overhead console, and I see that it has a 4th connection that I need to add, the color of the wires are orange,black, grey, and green which need to be splice into a blue connector to the lights the wires are three and that is what confuses me, would you be so kind as to explain what wire goes connected where
Carlos

Old 09-21-2017, 03:59 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by carlosrbc
I just got a new overhead console, and I see that it has a 4th connection that I need to add, the color of the wires are orange,black, grey, and green which need to be splice into a blue connector to the lights the wires are three and that is what confuses me, would you be so kind as to explain what wire goes connected where
Carlos

Is the new overhead console's Homelink a different year and model than your car? If so, what year and model?

Also, on your garage door opener, is the antennae wire purple or yellow, or another color? New opener security does not work with older Homelink controller, unless a bridge is added.

Last edited by redbull-1; 09-21-2017 at 04:02 PM.
Old 09-21-2017, 05:17 PM
Default Honda Accord 2012 overhead console with sunroof and homelink upgrade

The antenna is purple, and the overhead console it is also 2012, will that work with my garage,
Thank you

Old 09-21-2017, 05:24 PM

Also I was told it was from a Honda Accord 2012, where can I find the manufacturing date?
Carlos

Old 09-21-2017, 05:55 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by carlosrbc
The antenna is purple, and the overhead console it is also 2012, will that work with my garage,
Thank you

If the Homelink is from a 2012 model, it is compatible with older and newer garage door openers that can use Homelink.

• Yellow antennae wire on garage door opener is newer Security+ 2.0. (Does not work with older Homelink, unless a Homelink bridge (adapter) is added and used.)
  • Purple antennae wire on garage door opener is slightly older security. (Works with older and newer Homelink, should be no issues.)
2011 and newer Honda Accord Homelinks are later generation. 2010 and older Honda Accord Homelinks are previous generation.

On to the terminal numbering and wiring:

Terminal no. 1: Orn wire (Dash and console light) - Ground (-)

Terminal no. 2: Blk - Ground (-)

Terminal no. 3: Not used

Terminal no. 4: Grey (Dash and console light) - Power source (+) when switched on (headlight or parking lights) - Provides button illumination at night (not required to operate Homelink)

Terminal no. 5: Grn - Power source (+) Hot at all times - Power for Homelink remote to operate garage door opener.

Since your car did not come with Homelink, you can hardwire the Homelink by doing the following:

• Terminal no. 1 and no. 2- Grounds to the top Bus (top metal strip on overhead console)
  • Terminal no. 5 to bottom Bus (bottom metal strip on overhead console)
  • Terminal no. 4 wire to gray wire on terminal no. 3 of the 12-P Gry Moonroof switch harness connector. (This wire provides power (+) when headlights or parking lights are turned on.)

Old 09-22-2017, 01:16 PM
Default Homelink upgrade

Is there anyway i can test the homelink before i do the work? I saw this posting in which he tested the homelink unit with a 9 volt battery, and the lights went on I tried the same with mine , but no lights came on, i dont think i'm doing it wrong. Is there a different and more effective way to test it just to make sure, I dont want to go and do the work, and then find out it is not working
Carlos

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Adding Homelink to Accord EX-L