General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 03:01 PM
Default advice needed

Hi all,i bought a honda accord 2.ltr vtec,es,its a 99 model with 106,000,miles on clock.its my first honda,and im not dissapointed with the car.i have a few queries,(hope im not beeing cheeky here guys??)my first is,i have a gallon of antifreeze,i bought for a rover 2.ltr i had,it is oat extra life,from halfords (uk)which is red,can i use this in the honda???it doesnt have silicates in it,Also ive noticed when pulling away on an incline,the car knocks,or pinks for a few seconds when under load??(timing???)maybe,,trouble is ive got no history with car,so dont know whats been changed and what hasnt,oh,and need to change oil,but need to know what is best grade for the car??any replies hopefully will put me in right direction,,i have trawled through posts,but answers vary greatly among owners..thanx anyways for any info...steve

Old 09-03-2010, 05:07 PM
Super Moderator

Try to find out what service has been done on your car. Did you buy this from the previous owner or from a dealership? You may be able to call the dealership and ask if they have any service records based on the VIN.

I would look at the maintenance schedule in the owner's manual.
You can also download a 98-02 accord shop manual from the spooner link I posted in the the Online Manuals thread in the DIY section. I think it covers European Accords.

The spark plugs, distributor cap, and rotor are cheap enough that you may want to replace them anyway. Use the NGK recommended plugs. I know that you shouldn't mix certain colors of anti-freeze, but maybe one of the manual says what type of coolant can be used.

You car may be due soon for a timing belt replacement and that is important to change.