General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Advice On Replacing Timing Belt

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 09:17 PM
Default Advice On Replacing Timing Belt

I have a few questions that I hope someone can answer.

I have a 2002 Honda Accord Ex. It current has approximately 74,400 miles and its seven years old. After a routine oil change, I was recently told by Honda maintenance that the timing belt will need to be changed. The standard maintenance schedule for belt replacement is 7 years or 105K miles.

I was given a quote of $895 to change the timing belt (only?) from one Honda dealership. Another one said that it will be $1,000 (replacing two drive belts, the timing belt, water pump and run valve adjustments).

1. SInce I only have 74,000 miles, can I delay replacing the timing belt and if so for how long?

2. Should I replace the timing belt only or should I replace the other parts as mentioned above?

3. Do I have to go with Honda? Is it possible to get a better price and same service from places like Midas, Sullivan Tires, Meineke?

4. If I go with someone other than Honda, what kind of questions should I ask and are they suppose to use Honda parts for replacements?

Old 09-14-2009, 09:20 AM
Super Moderator

Other places can be GOOD. Where are you located? Maybe someone here can recommend a good shop? The big question is how good they are WITH HONDAs. The big chains like Midas can be good or bad, depending on the individual mechanic.

Timing belts can last quite a bit longer, or NOT. You're on borrowed time. "Do ya FEEL LUCKY?"

On a 4-cyl engine, there's TWO timing belts, so clarify that with both dealers. One timing belt drives the camshaft, the other drives the balance shafts. Or do you have a V-6??

Replace both external drive belts. They have to be removed anyway, so it's silly to put the old ones back on.

Most people do the water pump. It will "likely" not last ANOTHER 7 years, and when it goes you have to repeat the entire timing-belt job. That's a great deal of duplicated labor $$$ if you need a waterpump next year. When the timing belts are off, it's a simple matter to replace the waterpump.

Valve adjustment is good, but it can be done later. There's not a tremendous amount of duplicated labor. But it IS another day you have to schedule, drop off the car, etc...

Old 09-14-2009, 12:05 PM
Super Moderator

I promise the cam and crank seals will not make it to the 2nd T-belt change before leaking. Change them at the same time as the T-belt.
If you have a 4 cyl, [I guess that is top secret info?] also change the 'oil pump' seal, and counterbalance shaft seal
Water pump, counter balance belt, and T-belt.