General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice wanted with how I should deal with my a/c

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 08:29 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Advice wanted with how I should deal with my a/c

I bought my Accord last year in the early part of the summer. The compressor was squeaking when I bought the car. I put some freon and it leaked out in 3 days so I decided it wasn't worth the trouble and I forgot about it. well all summer my compressor was getting louder and louder. I told myself I'm going to drive like this until something breaks(bad idea). Well the pulley on the compressor froze, ripped up the belt and the compressor released all the dye that I had put in it.

I bought and installed a new compressor but I didn't put any freon in. Now that summer is coming up I'm looking to keep cool. I really don't want to waste money on freon if it's going to leak out again. So I was wondering how should I go about this and at the same time keep cost low?

Old 03-20-2011, 09:17 PM
Super Moderator

You will have to pull a vacuum on the system to recharge no matter what you do, and there is no freon in your system.

You can pull the vacuum and see if your a/c system can hold the vacuum. If yours doesn't hold a vacuum, I would replace the o-rings throughout the system along with the reciever/drier.

Mine held the same vacuum at 30 min, so I assumed I was good to go. I would still replace the reciever/drier if your system holds vacuum.