General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

after market stuff, easy Q here.

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 03:08 PM
Default after market stuff, easy Q here.

if i wanted new exhaust, nothing loud, just better looking than stock, would it be better to buy the product myself then just go to a local body shop and have them install the peice i bought?

because i wont be installing this myself, im retarded.

or would the place expect me to buy their over priced products?

thx!

Old 03-08-2008, 04:08 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: after market stuff, easy Q here.

You can buy it and ask them to put it on for you. Are you just buying a tip or an actual muffler? The exhaust place around me sells some really nice magnaflow tips for ~$40.

Old 03-09-2008, 01:44 AM

im not sure, this is the tip of the iceberg in research i need to do.

i assume the tip is the end, in which the exhaust comes out, and the rest of it is the tubing that connects to the engine exhaust port thing...

they come individually, not as a set?

id probably get both of them.

where would i want to contact about something like this? a midas type place, or a custom body shop type place?

Old 03-09-2008, 01:21 PM

Well all cars have a tail pipe that comes out of the muffler in the back, some have chrome tips on them, some don't. You mentioned you wanted something better looking than stock so a chrome tip would do the trick. Exhaust shops, many tire/wheel places, etc. should have some sort of selection. Call around and they are usually sold singly, not as a set.

If you want a new exhaust system (piped from the catalytic converter) with more performance and a different sound, that's a different story. Those can run you from $400 to $800. Surf the net for one, not at a shop.

Some well-known manufacturers are GReddy, APEX'i, Skunk2, HKS (pricey), and so on.

Old 03-10-2008, 02:52 PM

thats pretty useful thanks.

if i do plan on replacing the tip, SHOULD i replace the whole exhaust system like you speak of?
id rather not spend 800 bucks to have my car sound like a dying deisel when i accelerate.

new tip = cheap? including install 200 or less?

Old 03-11-2008, 04:37 PM

If you want the sound and little power boost of an exhaust, forget the tip and go for it. The are some exhaust clips on here of j_man's 240sx and some other ones I think. It's a four-banger so don't expect it to sound like a super car or anything. A tip will run ~$40 for quality, auto parts stores sell some for ~$10-20, not as nice. The nice ones have to be tack welded on at a shop, but that should run you little on the labor side. Auto parts store tips are usually held on with 3 bolts or screws.