General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After radio install, passenger door light comes on

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 12:08 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default After radio install, passenger door light comes on

Hey,

So I have 1997 Accord LX. I recently got robbed (well about 3 weeks now) and I have been driving without radio lol for a minute. Kind of get used to it after a while. But here is my issue..

Since I still had my wires, some of them. I thought I try, at least for now, installing the radio myself (figured it can't be that hard) then do the subs later. I did follow the color coding for the harness and the radio. Also followed instructions from installdr and was able to install the radio.

It plays fine but my front right speaker doesn't work. I think they cut the wire when they yanked the HU and dash kit out. Because I see I have a wire lose and when I traced it, it went to the passenger door. I will worry about that later.

Even after matching the harness wires to the aftermarket HU wires, I still have a blue with white stripes wire from the HU without connection. There is also an orange wire from the harness (Dash Dimmer I think) which I have no idea where to connect to. Any help will be fine.

Someone please tell me why my passenger door light comes on when the radio is turned on. Not the door light by the dashboard. The light on the door. And it won't go off until the radio is off. What is weird too is when I turn the car off, the radio goes off, it beeps 6 times (like it should) then after the beeps, the passenger door light becomes really bright and goes off. Even if I just turn the radio off while the car is on, the passenger door light shines really bright then goes off.

Why?!?

Any help is much appreciated.

Old 09-18-2011, 02:03 AM
Super Moderator

The best solution is to download a 94 shop manual for the wiring diagrams. Go to the common diy threads on top of the gen tech help forum. Open the online shop manual link and go to the honda-tech link in the first post.

You are going to need to figure out what wire on the door light is getting voltage and work backwards.

It will also show the wire colors for your factory stereo. That may clear up what wires you connect to you aftermarket stereo.

Old 09-19-2011, 01:10 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I am using the 1720 aftermarket radio harness. So I didn't touch the factory stereo wires. I just joined my aftermarket unit's wires to the harness' (I mean c'mon, they are colored) and connected the harness to the car's.

I also just found out when I disconnected the HU, that the door light actually doesn't work. If there isn't any radio hooked up, when I open the door, light doesn't come on. Connect radio and turn it on, light works.

I do have an aftermarket keyless entry/remote start hooked up. Thing is, I never paid attention to that passenger door light after all those where installed. I know it was working when I got the car though. Just don't know if it was still working after installing all those.

Old 09-19-2011, 05:31 PM
Super Moderator

I understand what you are doing.

I would write down wire colors for the factory harness and their purpose based on the shop manual on the left side of a piece of paper. Write down what the inputs should be on the new stereo. Then start matching them up. You may find that you have a wire switched. This is the easiest place to start troubleshooting.

Old 09-19-2011, 07:45 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I just got back from completing your last suggestion based on this manual; http://www.installdr.com/InstallDocs...PDF/466037.pdf and everything is matched up correctly. However I noticed that Pin D which has +12 Volt Ignition Wire (Yellow w/ Red Stripe) for the factory wiring; on my factory radio harness, this Pin D has a White w/Red wire connected in there instead. I have no idea where that wire comes from.

Any ideas?

Also, stupid question but the radio gets its power from the Battery right? What is the point of the +12 volt ignition wire connection? I am asking because as you know on the aftermarket radio harness, the Red wire is what is connected to the +12 Volt Ignition Wire pin (Pin D) on factory radio harness. When I disconnect this Red wire from the harness and then connect it to the factory radio harness, the radio still has some power because I hear it make some noise (kind of like what you hear when a CD changes).