General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket Keyless Entry (Python 660xp) on 1990 Accord

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 07:55 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Aftermarket Keyless Entry (Python 660xp) on 1990 Accord

Thanks for having a look at my post.

I have an aftermarket keyless entry (Python 660xp) on my 1990 Honda Accord. It was installed by the previous owner. It looks pretty sloppy down there but I'm too inexperienced with wiring up something like this to really speak to whether it's a good job.

I bought some new FOBs for the car since the old one is breaking down and only works sometimes. This is REALLY important since my driver's side door doesn't have a lock in-tact. (Previous owner said it was an attempted break-in.) So I can't unlock the car without climbing through the passengers side. Also if it were to quit while the security system is armed, I wouldn't be able to start it!

The Python 660XP works well. It chirps once for locking and twice to unlock. The valet switch is installed on the housing around the stick shift.

I can get the car into valet mode by turning the car on, then off, then pressing the valet button. The red LED on the steering column lights up and stays that way unless I immediately push the valet button again. If I leave it on (LED indicator on) the FOB doesn't work. (As designed.) However, when I try to do the system or transmitter learn routine on the link below, I get no chirps from the system and no blinks from the LED light.

Thanks for all your responses. Any ideas help!

Python 660XP Manual:
http://www.directed.com/guides/manua...N439P_4-02.pdf

Old 02-26-2014, 08:11 PM
Super Moderator

I would advise repairing the lock, so you can get into your car.

I have no insight on alarm systems. If you can't figure it out from the manual you linked, a shop that installs stereos or alarm systems can probably easily figure out how to do this.

Old 02-26-2014, 08:14 PM
Super Moderator
Old 02-26-2014, 09:01 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by PAhonda
I would advise repairing the lock, so you can get into your car.

I have no insight on alarm systems. If you can't figure it out from the manual you linked, a shop that installs stereos or alarm systems can probably easily figure out how to do this.
Thanks PAhonda. The thought has occurred to me to fix the lock on the drivers side door. It still doesn't solve the issue of my remote dying while the car is armed though.

However, since you brought it up, in your opinion what is the best way to fix a lock like that? The key hole is completely missing and is just a hole in the door. The handle works on it and the door unlocks perfectly with the fob.

It seems expensive to get a key hole custom made to work with my key. So would you just get a second key hole and second key?

Thanks for the suggestion!

Also, the video was helpful to hear the way the programming worked! But I still can't get the initial chirp to enter the programming mode. My dome light doesn't come on with the door open so maybe it has something to do with that switch.

Thank you very much for looking into that for me!

Last edited by Mstrmonkyman; 02-26-2014 at 09:04 PM.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:34 PM
Super Moderator

Try opening another door or two and leave them open; so, that the ground signal is sent to the receiver; to see if you can then begin the transmitter/receiver learn routine.

Old 02-26-2014, 10:01 PM
Super Moderator

You would likely have to get a working lock cylinder. Remove the broken lock cylinder from that door. Then take them to a locksmith. You may want to call one just to get an idea of what they would charge to fix it.

Old 02-02-2017, 09:48 AM
Newest Of Newbies

I feel badly that I never checked back in on this! I stopped by an alarm shop and they were able to help me get it sorted out.