General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any idea why this gear shift handle doesn't work for me 94 Coupe EX?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 03:00 PM
Default Any idea why this gear shift handle doesn't work for me 94 Coupe EX?

1) I hope this isn't in the wrong spot, but after looking through the options I didn't see a clear answer as to where this question should go.

-

I'm not a car guy, but I own a nice little 1994 Honda Accord Coupe EX, and I've been trying to fix it up so I can sell it (full disclosure of course). It has some issues, and one of them is that the gear shift handle broke a year ago, and I've been driving it around and switching gears just be pushing down the pointy metal bit with my finger. So far it's been working fine, but I realized it was a safety hazard and needed to be fixed before I could seriously consider an offer on the car.

I bought the following item, which the dealer assured me would work for a 1994 Honda Accord Coupe EX, but it didn't. After installing it, the button would push in against the spring, but it wouldn't push the metal bit down to allow for a gear switch. Essentially, it didn't work. I searched everywhere for the reason, for example, maybe I was putting it on wrong, but didn't see a better way of doing it and it looked right, plus there was nothing about it online.

The Replacement I Ordered: Honda ACCORD RUBBER Automatic Shifter Shift **** Handle Chrome Push Button 94-97 | eBay

What my situation looks like without the shift handle:

What it looks like after I've put the handle on:

The replacement piece comes with two small screws, the button, a spring, and the rubber body. I placed the spring and the button into the button slot of the rubber body and test it to prove the button functions properly (it does), and then I take the body and place it over the metal bar, attach the screws, and it doesn't work.

Can anyone make any recommendations?

Old 01-30-2017, 06:49 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Does your assy have all the parts in this ebay part? I had the plastic actuator /button break on mine and replaced w/ ebay part that worked fine.

Honda ACCORD RUBBER Automatic Shifter Shift **** Handle Chrome Push Button 94-97 | eBay

good luck

Old 01-30-2017, 10:08 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Another idea is to try and find the entire shifter assembly. Just a thought.

Old 02-01-2017, 07:18 AM
Default Response #1

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
Does your assy have all the parts in this ebay part? I had the plastic actuator /button break on mine and replaced w/ ebay part that worked fine.

Honda ACCORD RUBBER Automatic Shifter Shift **** Handle Chrome Push Button 94-97 | eBay

good luck
Hey TexasHonda, yes, it's got all the parts. The rubber body, button, spring, and two screws.

Do you know if there's a certain way the stick (metal gear bar that sticks out of the shifter assembly) needs to be pointed to make it work? As you can see in the pics the end angles to a semi-flat point, and I thought perhaps that would have some influence on whether it worked or not. Fundamentally, the issue is that the button doesn't push the metal gear bar DOWN, which is the only thing that lets you switch gears. So that leads me to believe the problem is due to an incorrect interaction between the button and the top of the bar or something, although to be honest, I do not see how the button is supposed to, in any way, push that bar down.

Thanks for offering your advice!

Originally Posted by The Toecutter
Another idea is to try and find the entire shifter assembly. Just a thought.
True, but I'm really trying to fix it up myself without too much expense. I've never had a problem with the assembly, just that damn shifter handle!

Old 02-01-2017, 09:52 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Metal sloped end looks correct. A tapered side on plastic piece matches the slope of the metal end. As you push the button, the slopes meet and plastic piece pushes metal end down. Perhaps button in handle is upside down? Wrong part?

good luck

Old 02-02-2017, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
Metal sloped end looks correct. A tapered side on plastic piece matches the slope of the metal end. As you push the button, the slopes meet and plastic piece pushes metal end down. Perhaps button in handle is upside down? Wrong part?

good luck
OK--I realized that I had been putting the button in wrong, and this time made sure the sloped metal end was in the right spot. Still didn't work, but at least I learned something.

I checked the button positioning as well, but it has a small slot on its underside that corresponds with a guider, so it can't even go into the rubber body without being right side up.

No matter, I'm able to return the part easily, and I've already ordered new replacement shifter assembly. It was actually only $14 more than just the handle....