General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air conditioner help

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 09:17 PM
ouchevelles
Unregistered
Default Air conditioner help

Hi all,

I just got a 1994 Honda Accord recently, my first Honda, this winter. I don't know where to ask for help but since things are getting hot now, I need to ask! I had my grandparents look at it for me when I was out of town, and they said the compressor worked. When I was about to buy the car, I didn't check it visually, although when I pressed the A/C button and I felt the idle change so I figured it was fine (although this may be electronically controlled, my other car A/C idle is changed at the carburetor). In retrospect they may have been looking at what I'm guessing is an air pump, closer to the top of the engine.

Anyway, I realized it wasn't really blowing cold, and I tried to put some R-134 in (my dad does A/C work so he has tools for cars as well), but then we realized the compressor wasn't coming on. We're not sure if the compressor is dead or not. I have a couple of questions:

1) Do these compressors have low-pressure switches? How are they reset if so? Our pressures were a little low.

2) On the back of the compressor, there is a little dongle or something that has one red wire coming from the compressor to the plug, and the plug has a lot of wires going back into a main harness. However, the plug itself is not connected to anything. Is this a test plug or something, or does it need to be connected to something for the compressor to work? We didn't see any sort of plug-in for this in sight in reach of the wires, so we're not sure.

I don't have an owners manual and couldn't find a wiring diagram online. Thanks for any help!

Old 04-02-2007, 11:08 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Air conditioner help

The wire coming from the compressor clutch goes thru a temp shut off on the top of the compressor and then should go over to the drivers side fan shroud and connect into the harness plug there.
Yes there is a dual [high/low]pressure switch, I'm pretty sure it is on the high side line, passenger side just behind the radiator

Old 04-03-2007, 01:29 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Air conditioner help

If you go to our DIY section there is a post ( 5th gen accords 94-97 infos and manuals,, ) go to the link and download what you need ..