General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Conditioner Service 94 accord wagon

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 08:25 AM
tr7driver
Unregistered
Default Air Conditioner Service 94 accord wagon

HI, I have a 94 Honda Accord EX 4cyl wagon. The air conditioner has never been great, I think the unit is the same as used in the sedan and too small for the area it has to cool. I've started looking for ways to improve it. I bought a stick type gauge to check the 134 gas. It shows 44 lbs on the low pressure side when the unit is running. I can't find the pressure spec in my manual and was wondering if anyone knows what is should be.

Also, any ideas on ways to test orto improve the AC cooling would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Old 07-02-2008, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: Air Conditioner Service 94 accord wagon

You can't determine performance w/ a stick gauge on the low pressure side. You need a set of manifold gauges to understand what is happening w/ the system.

My 94EX has a great cooling system, probably same as yours. I think you're probably substandard, but why is difficult to say.

A pressure of 44 psi (if that is right, stick gauges are notoriously inaccurate) is too high for good cooling, assuming the high side is OK. A good low pressure would be in the range of 25-30 psi, again if high side is correct. W/O high side, you're assuming the charge is correct. Potential reasons for high, low pressure side are poor expansion valve performance, poor condensor performance, overcharge, and others.

A decent set of manifold gauges can be purchased for < $50 at harborfreight.com. Also if you want to DiY, suggest joining the forum, autoacforum.com to learn more about MVAC. It's not terribly difficult to learn the basics, and all vehicles use same basic parts to achieve cooling. I learned this skill over 25 yrs ago, and have never had to pay for AC repair since. It is very satifying diy work also.

If you don't plan to diy, spend some time asking for a good AC repair shop. There are a lot of rip-off outfits, and all (even good ones) are expensive.

good luck

Old 07-08-2008, 08:14 AM
tr7driver
Unregistered
Default RE: Air Conditioner Service 94 accord wagon Resolved!

I found the problem. The valve on the heater core isn't closing completely when I turn the temperature to cold. I pushed it closed (its under the hood, below the air intake near the firewall on the passenger's side) and bingo, cold air.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:19 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Air Conditioner Service 94 accord wagon Resolved!

Heres something to check. From the temperature control theres a cable going down somewhere low in the right-side footwell. Alongside the passengers ankle? It moves a lever for air doors, & theres a SECOND cable going from there out to the water valve.

Something might be disconnected?