General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Air Conditioning not working

Old 08-06-2006, 01:42 PM
Default Air Conditioning not working

The A/C blows only hot air. The condensor fan works and all fuses are good. I'll be following Desert Honda's trouble shooting advice listed in a previous post. My question is that the car list the refrigerant as R-12. If I am low on refrigerant can I use a retrofit kit to change over to R-134a?

Thanks,

Stephen

Old 08-06-2006, 02:02 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Air Conditioning not working

ORIGINAL: sbclemens
If I am low on refrigerant can I use a retrofit kit to change over to R-134a?

If it's a 1990 or newer model you can.

Old 08-06-2006, 03:01 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: sbclemens

The A/C blows only hot air. The condensor fan works and all fuses are good. I'll be following Desert Honda's trouble shooting advice listed in a previous post. My question is that the car list the refrigerant as R-12. If I am low on refrigerant can I use a retrofit kit to change over to R-134a?

Thanks,

Stephen
A COUPLE OF THINGS.........I am assuming your car is 93 ...

first off , you are correct on making sure system is properly filled...........if it is low ,, you can retrofit it to r-134a ,, before you do , read this article written by Yeu.....

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/Thi...m_20733/tm.htm

if system is low most likely there is a leak, so you need to put some dye into the system . to locate the leak

secondly .. I see you said the cond fan works ,, BOTH FANS are supposed to work,

third,, the trouble shooting from the previous post might not apply to the problem you have,, it might lead you astray,, you got to take each problem accordingly unless it is the exact same problem, which yours is not,, the fans on the other car were not working , he had an issue with the ground system,,,,,,,,,
we know that the cond fan on your car works , so you got a different problem

jump the 2 wires at the pressure switch together and see if compressor comes on,, if it does most likely system is low on freon ...
refill and retry then if only 1 fan is on,, you need to diagnose why the main fan does not work

Old 08-06-2006, 09:42 PM

DH, You are correct it is a 93. Same car you helped me out a few weeks back on a non-start issue. I will read the article you suggest. Both fans should be working? Only the condensor fan was operating. Is the radiator fan suppose to run constantly?

Read the article.....so where can I buy R-12?