General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Airbags?What should I do?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 01:49 PM
97accordredo
Unregistered
Default Airbags?What should I do?

Ok guys so here is the problem. I was involved in an accident with my 97 honda accord. Airbags deployed but only minor damage to the front. Car was totaled and I bought it back from the insurance company for 900$. Now I know I could fix it all, needs hood, right fender, bumper and right headlight........but the FRICKEN airbags went off. Isnt it like $3000 to get them replaced? I've thought about A. just putting on an aftermarket steering wheel or B. buying used airbags off of ebay. Im hesident to do any of this for saftey reasons, and my other question is what will my insurance think??????????? Maybe I should just part this DARN car out. Please and advice would be welcome.

Old 08-20-2007, 02:18 PM
Almost A Senior Member
Default RE: Airbags?What should I do?

If you're gona get money from your insurance to cover that car then just part with it. There might be other damages that you can't see by just looking at the car. There might be problems with the frame and suspension. It was a pretty hard crash if your airbags deployed and issued as totaled. Does the engine still work? How can the car only have minor damage to the front when the airbags deployed?

Old 08-20-2007, 02:46 PM

It doesn't take a lot of force to set off an airbag if it gets hit in the right place... As for what to do about it I'd personally go junk yard diving for the front sensor and the airbags.

Old 08-20-2007, 04:15 PM

Are you going to have to get a "salvage" title? If so, you are going to need to save all parts receipts and make sure you take before/after pics of the damage/repairs - you will need all of this to obtain a car tag.
As far as the airbags go, I would check junkyards first. Try to do some research on airbag servicing. I know Haynes & Chilton manuals don't cover airbags either. Airbags are pretty dangerous if you don't know what you are doing. If I were you, I would probably go with an aftermarket steering wheel and try to figure out how to get the dash looking normal again, but not bother trying to replace the bags myself.