General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alarm going off -- HELP

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 04:19 PM
Randy99
Unregistered
Default Alarm going off -- HELP

I have a 99 Accord and over the past several days the alarm has been going off for no apparent reason. This can happen several times a day. Sometimes I return to my car from being in a store and the alarm is blaring. I have seen a couple of posts on how to reset it with the wiperring, but that did ot seem to do it. I checked the doorswitches to see if they may be jammed and did not find anything obvious. Idid not disconnect the battery yet, but I guess that is the next try, though I'm a little concerned that may cause some other issues (will it?). Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

Old 06-21-2007, 04:40 PM
Default RE: Alarm going off -- HELP

If the battery has low voltage it will set the alarm off. Have it checked free at Auto Zone and make sure the terminals and cables are clean. Obviously many other things can cause theproblem but this one happened to me so thought I'd pass it along......it's easy enough to check.

Old 06-21-2007, 04:43 PM

I doubt this is your situation but I have heard of a dead and/or dying battery causing car alarms to "act up"

Old 06-22-2007, 12:23 PM
alariskirein
Unregistered

if you want to disable the factory alarm temporarily until you find what the problem is all you need to do is jumper a wire that is located behind the glove box in a 24 pin connector the wire is orange just put this wire to a ground( chassis metal ) and that should disarm your factory alarm. i will recomend that you buy a good quality tester walmart... have them for 14.99 on the car audio section is scosche brand and comes with a tester,rca cable puller and stripper wire plyers.make sure that you're using the right wire. test it with a dmm or the tester i just mentioned.the wire should not have power . good luck.

92 accord ex engine
17" 5zigen rims
nitto neogen tires
focal polyglass 6.5 components
focal 5.25" polykevlar components
focal 16" subwoofer
mb quart 4" discuss components
body kit
coil overs
electric supercharger
xtd clutch
x-tant 5 channel amp
cadence 600.2 amp
denon 2 channel amp
phoenix gold bass line driver
ps2
7" indash screen
clarion dz775mc headunit

Old 06-22-2007, 12:40 PM
alariskirein
Unregistered

i just found that there's another wire to disarm the factory alarm the color is blue and you can find it on the drivers door at the switch or the multiplexing unit.. i really recommend you to forget about the factory alarm and instead go with an aftermarket alarm .it's going to give you more option in security and it will disarm your factory alarm too. you will have shock sensor wich the factory doesn't have. starter cut, you can add a windows up module to roll up your windows when you arm the alarm. and the option of anti car jack. in case you are forced out of your car in a stop light or somewhere else, thecar will run only about 1 - 1/2 minute and then the alarm will shut down the engine.i mean is a lot of options and better security for you and your car. just keep in mind that you should go and install the alarm in a good place. with a good installer.go for k-9 alarm, in my opinion is one of the best,or if you got the money get viper or clifford. good luck.

Old 06-22-2007, 01:50 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I've seen a few bad/dirty hood switches causing the alarms to go off lately. That's something that's fairly easy to check with an ohm meter. There are many other possible causes also.

Old 06-23-2007, 07:47 PM
Randy99
Unregistered

Thanks all for the replies. Unfortunately have not solved this yet. Autozone checked the battery and it is fine. Can someone tell me howdo I check the switches with an ohm metter. I have one, just not sure what I am looking for.

I need to get this fixed soon. Woke the neighborhood up twice the other night.

Old 06-24-2007, 10:35 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: Randy99
Can someone tell me howdo I check the switches with an ohm metter. I have one, just not sure what I am looking for.
The switch should measure completely open in one possition, and completely closed in the other.