General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alien growths on my exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 01:24 PM
Almost A Senior Member
Default Alien growths on my exhaust?

I don't quite know how to describe this. When I had the '09 up on a lift last time I saw what looked like mud caked on to the bottom of the exhaust section close to the muffler. I thought I had just driven over mud or something and I could clean it off.

A month or two later I had it up on ramps for an oil change and I saw them again so I told myself I'd handle them because they weren't coming off on their own which I thought was odd since it should have gotten hot enough to bake off wet mud.

Just a day ago I got on all fours with a flat stick and poked at it. It's not budging. It actually feels like hard metal growths that resemble rounded stalactites in that they look like little bumps hanging down off of the exhaust and this is only on the section close to the muffler, the section close to the front of the car is spotless. They are on that section of exhaust for about two feet.

Anyone know what this crap is?

Old 12-08-2012, 03:06 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by MessAround
It actually feels like hard metal growths that resemble rounded stalactites ...
don't know, but if keep car a long time you might need new exhaust pipe / muffler.

Pics?

Old 12-08-2012, 03:19 PM

a picture will help