General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternator/Battery Issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 08:32 PM
Unhappy Alternator/Battery Issues

Hello! I'm brand new to this site, but I'm looking for some help fixing up my 2004 Honda Accord EX 3.0L V6.

I believe I'm having two related issues, so I'm going to err on the side of caution and provide all details here.

Firstly, my positive battery cable (to my starter and fuse box) had always been corroded. So one weekend last year I put up the dough and bought a brand new battery from Costco & positive terminal cable from my local Honda dealer. Installed 'em both just fine, and my cable looked marvelous. One week ago, I noticed that the corrosion has come back, so I bought a $2 terminal cleaner at AutoZone, cleaned off the corrosion from the terminal and cable, and dipped the cable in a baking soda/water mix.

Secondly, my battery light recently came on while driving at low rpms (also a week ago). All of a sudden, my gauges died and I knew I had to pull over. I had my Accord towed home, and figured it was the voltage regulator in my alternator. I immediately bought a fresh one from Auto Zone, and replaced it. After a quick jump, my Accord happily turned over and all seemed fine. I had no issues until today when again my battery light came on during my commute home. Again, only at low rpms. I'm sure I installed the alternator correctly.

I'm wondering what to do to fix this issue; do I have a parasitic drain on my battery? Or did Auto Zone just sell me a worn out alternator? Perhaps I need to charge my battery for a while? I'm honestly worried about driving to/from school & work since I live in Austin and sit in traffic constantly.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Old 05-01-2018, 08:58 AM

I have had bad alternators, but only one time out of about 20 (rebuilts). My first suggestion is check the connections on your positive and negative cables (BOTH ends). Also check the connections on your alternator. Also check the cables for exposed spots that might be touching the engine or the frame.

Take the car to Autozone and they will tell you if the problem is the batter or alternator ( they will check both for free).

Old 05-01-2018, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by rockhoundrob
Take the car to Autozone and they will tell you if the problem is the battery or alternator ( they will check both for free).
Will do! I'll upload pictures of my corrosion too, perhaps I am in need of some felt washers and new terminals/connectors.

Thanks!