General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternator problems, Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 02:27 PM
NYhonda99
Unregistered
Default Alternator problems, Please help!

First off this is a great site, i've solved a lot of my problems just by searching. But this is more specific so I'm hoping someone can help out.

Mycar is a '99 Accord V6. Two days ago my stock alternator died so Ireplaced it with a high output alternator from Alterstart. Its rated at 180 amps.The people at Alterstartsaid to change the power cable (the one running from the alternator to the + terminal of the battery) because the alternator would blow the fuse on the stock cable. They said to completely bypass the fusebox and directly connect the alternator to the battery. So I swaped out the alternator and replaced the power cable and everything like they said. Problem is the car wont start, the dash lights dont even go on when I turn the key. The battery is fully charged and I even tried jumping the car. Nothing.

Could the problem be the aftermarket security system (checkmate security)? Or maybe its because of the new powercable setup? Any help is appreciated.

Old 03-05-2007, 07:04 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Alternator problems, Please help!

Did you remove the battery terminal Before swapping the ALT?
Main fuse 100 amp in underhood fuse panel is good?
If you removed the batterycable from the Alt tothe underhood fuse panel to the battery positive, you have no power to go out thru the 'distribution'.
I'd say put the wiring back the way it was originally, the only way that 100 amp main fuse would blow is if the battery was discharged so low that it pulled over 100 amps on start up.

Old 03-07-2007, 12:40 AM
NYhonda99
Unregistered
Default RE: Alternator problems, Please help!

Thanks for the help. I decided to just put in a Bosche alternator so I know it wont blow the 100amp fuse and I'm going to return the high output alternator. I plan to rewire it the original way. So would you say that without the power line running from the alternator to the fuse box that there is no way the car will start? I just want to make sure thats the problem here.