General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

As always I searched to no avail - BRAKE Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 10:51 PM
Default As always I searched to no avail - BRAKE Problems

Hey guys, just had a question about my rear calipers. I seen no one has posted strictly about them so here goes.

Im changing the rear brakes(disk) on my 94. Ive done brakes many times before, usually in less than an hour I can do all four, pads and rotors. ButyesterdayI spent 6 hours on my drivers side. First trying to remove the 14 yr old caliper bolts then the stupidmakes-no-sense philips head screws they put in theroters for someunknown reason. (I am amazed everyday just how smart those***** are whenI look at my accord, but then I seen those two philips head screws in the rotors. F"in stupid!) Of course they stripped out. <p>
Anyway, my real problem is this. The slide pins are frozen, and I can barely get the pads over the rotors becuz of this. Is there anyway to fix them/replace them without having to buy a whole new caliper? I noticed that they are not a traditional hex nut and look more like this.... (__) .... obviously an upper line should be drawn in there. <p>
I'm pretty sure these are called slide pins. they have rubber boots and actually look as if they are completely compressed. Hence, is why I believe i cant really get the pads over the rotor. I did get them on, but the***** smoke like helll and it smells bad.<p>
Any help is definitely appreciated!!!

Yo Brew, where those ***** red thingys are is where your using foul words and racisist slurs about another race..so please dont use that in here..Thanks WheelBrokerAng
Heat those bolts and screws to get them out,,should work for you!

Old 04-11-2007, 11:46 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: As always I searched to no avail - BRAKE Problems

You can drill out the screw heads and use two 8x1.25mm bolts to jack the rotor away from the hub. Easy as there's not a lot of thread depth through the rotor. You should be able to back out the remaining screw pieces w/ vise-grips after removing the rotor. Youdon't have to replace the screws as they are not functional except to hold the rotor in position until you install the wheel and lugs. If you want to replace use some anti-sieze on the threads for easier removal next time.

Slide pins can be purchased from Honda. The upper and lower pins are different. Get new boots also.

Suggest downloadingthe94 Honda shop manual from http://www.hondahookup.com/manuals/. The pics and details are very helpful.

good luck

Old 04-12-2007, 03:39 AM
Super Moderator

The caliper slide pins are #18 & 33, you see they have that funny-shaped head you mentioned. That fits against a shoulder on the caliper so you don't need to hold it with a wrench while tightening the bolts (#38).

If you can't get them out, you'll have to get a new (rebuilt?) caliper since that seems to bethe only way to get the caliper bracket.

Old 04-12-2007, 09:56 AM

thanks for the response guys. I forgot to add that i did end up cutting the screws out of the rotor. im still looking for some tips to get the slide pins to relax a bit so i can get them out. im thinking heat might work? they dont screw in or out right?

Old 04-12-2007, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator

Those screws in the rotor are for convenience at the factory. They keep the rotor from falling off while it's running around the assembly line before the calipers are installed. After the road wheels are installed, the clamping force from the lug nuts hold it all together.

The caliper slide pins simply slide out. Get new rubber boots, cut off the old boots, soak with PB Blaster or Kroil or something like that. Use a wrench on those funny flats to start moving it around whicheverway youcan. You'll probably want to replace the slide pins, but maybe you can salvage the caliper bracket.

Old 04-12-2007, 12:25 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Jim's advice is a good one but instead of using a wqrench on those slide pins flat heads i would use a vise grip, being that they are that frozen in, a wrench have a tendency to slip when applying force to it.. I have found that a vise grip works much much better ,, be patient it might take a bit of time

Old 04-13-2007, 02:59 PM

Once again the knowledgable folks here at HAF have saved an accord owner time and a lot of money!

After following the advice given in this thread I was able to free up the slide bolts - vice grips and lube did the trick- and get the brakes back together.

Time: 40 mins
Money saved: $59.80 (for new pins)

Once again thank you guys!