General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I being stitched up?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 12:41 PM
Default Am I being stitched up?

Hi,

I have a 2004 2.2cdti accord, still under warranty from the garage I bought from. A week after purchase it started to take a few turns before the engine would fire. Then yesterday the engine turned over but it failed to start at all.

The garage tell me the glow plugs are at fault, but, they may have damaged the injectors which would be my fault for driving it. Is it possible that glow plugs could damage the injectors?

Thanks in advance.

Richard

Old 08-21-2015, 02:40 PM

Is this a European diesel car? If it is not a diesel then there are no glow plugs. Please provide detailed info you your car when posting. Highly unlikely glow plugs would damage injectors. I have not seen it myself, but then again my diesel knowledge is based on working on tractors and the like, but the principles for newer diesel engines are in general the same. Sounds like they knew there was an issue with the car before selling it to you and are try to get more money out of you. They may not know what the issue is, otherwise if it was a simple fix a reputable dealer would have fixed it prior to sale.

Old 08-21-2015, 03:06 PM

Yup this is a European 2004 cdti manual diesel. They say the glow plugs are at fault, but that they might have damaged the injectors, through my use.. Hence my wanting to know if this is feasible or not.

Old 08-23-2015, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Richard77
Yup this is a European 2004 cdti manual diesel. They say the glow plugs are at fault, but that they might have damaged the injectors, through my use.. Hence my wanting to know if this is feasible or not.
not possible. A diesel engine uses compression for the combustion process. all a glow plug does is pre-heat the air in the pre-combustion chamber so the diesel fuel is easier to ignite on the compression stroke. the only way possible for a glow plug to damage an injector is if it were to break off, fall into the combustion chamber and get rammed into the injector nozzle by the piston.

Last edited by NorCal Accord; 08-23-2015 at 01:04 PM.