General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Anone modify their 2008-2010 seats large LUMBAR lump?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 09:35 AM

I wonder if they ever fixed this in the 2013 model..... I hope they have learned.

Old 02-14-2013, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by Mikebike125
I wonder if they ever fixed this in the 2013 model..... I hope they have learned.
I sat in the 2013, the lump isn't as bad. But I heard rumor that the passenger seat is very uncomfortable for longer rides. I don't trust any engineering from Honda everything is suspect.

Old 02-19-2013, 07:41 PM

I just bought a 2010 Accord EXP. The driver's seat is killing my back! I saw the photos from Mikebike125 showing how to fix the wire and add padding to the back of the seat. Will this fix will work on the EXP even though the lumbar is not adjustable?

Old 02-20-2013, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Linda
I just bought a 2010 Accord EXP. The driver's seat is killing my back! I saw the photos from Mikebike125 showing how to fix the wire and add padding to the back of the seat. Will this fix will work on the EXP even though the lumbar is not adjustable?
Pull the head rest forward on the driver seat if the lump on the seat go away all you need to do is disconnect the cable in The back of the seat by unzipping the cover. Do not extend the cable just leave it disabled serves no purpose but to hurt your back. No padding required.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Mikebike125
I read from a couple in here that they too have hurting backs from the large lumbar support lump in the 2008-2010 driver seat back. I am considering finding an automotive upholstery shop to see if they can add a piece of foam in the upper portion of the seat to lessen the hugeness of the lumbar lump. Has anyone else experienced this?
Hi. I'm new to the forum and only here because we bought a 2010 Accord LXP with cloth seats last week. The seats are horrible! I saw Mike's photos regarding adjusting the wire and adding foam in front of the lumbar. Would that work for the LXP as well? It's lumbar in NOT adjustable. What about removing the lumbar support altogether?
Thank you so much and hope to fix this problem soon as I really like the car otherwise.

Old 02-23-2013, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Linda
Hi. I'm new to the forum and only here because we bought a 2010 Accord LXP with cloth seats last week. The seats are horrible! I saw Mike's photos regarding adjusting the wire and adding foam in front of the lumbar. Would that work for the LXP as well? It's lumbar in NOT adjustable. What about removing the lumbar support altogether?
Thank you so much and hope to fix this problem soon as I really like the car otherwise.
Every year and model of the accord has a slight modification to the seats, but you won't know what is bothering you until you take off the back part and look at the interior of the seat. I removed the lumbar piece all together on my 2012 accord....and the seat is now fine. You can take your time taking it all apart, or like me I knew I would never put that back into the seat so I cut the cable and removed it in 5 minutes.

Old 02-24-2013, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by fletch594
Every year and model of the accord has a slight modification to the seats, but you won't know what is bothering you until you take off the back part and look at the interior of the seat. I removed the lumbar piece all together on my 2012 accord....and the seat is now fine. You can take your time taking it all apart, or like me I knew I would never put that back into the seat so I cut the cable and removed it in 5 minutes.
I wish I would have found this before I picked up my 2010 ex-l!

I've had it for 3 days, can't take it. The driver seat lumbar support in this thing is so unbearable that after driving for about 15 minutes the discomfort in my back makes it undriveable. For the record, I am a healthy male, barely 150lbs, and have no back issues. I am in sales and have owned and driven many makes and models (including Honda) well over 100,000 miles over the years with absolutely no seat/comfort issues. I have put about 200 miles on this car and have strained my back through every single one of them.

@Fletch594, that is what I am thinking. Problem is, looking at the seat, I have no idea where to start without destroying it.

Old 02-25-2013, 01:35 AM

[QUOTE=MBMM;312542]I wish I would have found this before I picked up my 2010 ex-l!

I've had it for 3 days, can't take it. The driver seat lumbar support in this thing is so unbearable that after driving for about 15 minutes the discomfort in my back makes it undriveable. For the record, I am a healthy male, barely 150lbs, and have no back issues. I am in sales and have owned and driven many makes and models (including Honda) well over 100,000 miles over the years with absolutely no seat/comfort issues. I have put about 200 miles on this car and have strained my back through every single one of them.

@Fletch594, that is what I am thinking. Problem is, looking at the seat, I have no idea where to start without destroying it.

I felt the same about my car but thought I couldn't make the seat any worse. I really didnt want to mess with ruining a car wth less than 2000 miles on it. I am sure you can do a little research here and figure it out.... With my seat the back part came off easy.... Just unhooked the straps under the seat and slid the seat covers off.... Some seats have zippers... These seats just had 2 plastic pieces that fit together to keep the back of the seat tight... And I just slid them each to the side and the whole back of the seat was exposed. Then you just need to figure out how to take off the lumbar piece.... Mine had 2 wires that were clipped onto it and the power cable at the top. For me to take the whole seat apart I would never have remembered how it wet back together... So I cut the cable with wire cutters and just unsnapped the wires... The lumbar piece came right out. I was worried that the seat may not have enough support once it was removed but since then it has been completely fine and pain free. Some people have put in extra padding or had to bend new wires for their seats but I didn't. The car is now fine but I never would have kept it with the seat the way it was....

Old 07-01-2013, 10:54 PM

Just to let people know. They apparently haven't fixed the problem with the 2013 Accord. As everyone else has said, I wish I had seen this earlier. Other than this seat problem making my back hurt, I really like the car. But if I can't get it fixed to where it is comfortable, there is no way I will live with it like it is. I just bought the car on Sat (June 29, 2013), and my back hurt all day to day at the office. I had test driven a Mazda6 (I have been a Mazda owner for years), and didn't buy a 6 for just this reason - something in the lumbar area of their new seats felt uncomfortable. I didn't really notice it on my short Accord test drives. I wonder if this active head restraint technology is causing this problem in a lot of cars? My wife's 08 Sienna has it to a small extent, although fortunately I can lean the seat back enough that it doesn't really bother me. I can't seem to find a setting in the Accord that makes it go away.

Old 07-03-2013, 08:02 AM

Just to clarify my post above. Interestingly, I've found that Honda says the 2013 Accord doesn't have the active head restraint. (http://hondanews.com/releases/da453c43-b1b7-4fda-bca8-08c172a3e2de) It doesn't look or act like it does based on the descriptions I've read of it on this thread. So that isn't the cause of my problem.

So I don't know if my problem is just with the lumbar support. I fractured a vertebra and ruptured a disc 27 years ago, and my lower back has never been the same. I start having problems if anything pushes to much on my lower spine. I'm still probably going to look into removing the seatback and determining if there is anything I can do to alleviate the problem. Most likely that would be removing the adjustable lumbar support plate and fabricating a new lower wire without the "hump" in the center that apparently is used by the lumbar support mechanism.

Last edited by Brainstorm69; 07-03-2013 at 08:05 AM.

Quick Reply: Anone modify their 2008-2010 seats large LUMBAR lump?