General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anone modify their 2008-2010 seats large LUMBAR lump?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by iwatermaker
I modified my 2010 Accord by taking off the back panel on the front seats (leather) and removing the bottom thick wire that holds the active head restraint system in place. I also replaced the upper wire by fabricating a longer wire out of an old tomato cage and a pair of pliers. Mostly as described by MikeBike in earlier posts. Took about 20 minutes. Far more comfortable now.
I did the same when I first got the car, but then I was concerned about the durability of the seat. Seemed like the leather and stiching was the only thing holding me from going threw the frame of the seat.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:44 AM

yes, I'm concerned about seat durability too, but I think with replacing the upper wire with a slightly longer one that there will be enough support so that stitching is not the only thing supporting the driver's weight. I did the same to the passenger seat but it has a somewhat different design. Took a litle lot longer to make the same fix as removing the lower wire was far more difficult.

Old 07-07-2014, 01:38 PM

Thinking about modifying the driver's seat in an Accord 2011 EX-L that I bought 2 days ago. The seat isn't killing my back right away; it's just uncomfortable to the point I'd like to modify it.

Question to those who opened seats and modded them: these drivers seats have side airbags and heating pads (in EX-L and SE). Should be a lot of wiring and some sensors(?) Any problems with these or precautions one should take while opening or modding seats?

Old 07-16-2014, 06:29 PM

Disassembled my 2011 EX-Ls driver's seat. Internally it's exactly the same as pictured in this thread https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...r-back*-37122/ by Mikebike125.

Didn't get a chance to fabricate a lower wire as Mikebike described; however, removing of the white lumbar adjustment plate and installing the original lower wire upside down really helped a lot. The seat is much more comfortable now; no more lower back stiffness. However, it's not as soft as I would like it to be.

Need to buy some foam and install it in front of that black active restraint plate. The lower wire is quite thick and might not be easy to fabricate so I'll try to bend the original one in such a way that it will be slightly deeper.

Thank you again Mikebike125 for describing this seat modification!