General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anone modify their 2008-2010 seats large LUMBAR lump?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by Mikebike125
Guys, here is my thread complete with pictures on how to do it.

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...r-back*-37122/

It used to kill me but it is much better now.
Hi,

Sorry to drag this old thread up, but i'm having some problems with my 2012 accord ex-l cpe.
I tried to follow your guide but my seat back appears very different (lots of springs and levers which were very difficult to remove) to the pics in your guide.
I understand that the different years have variances in the seat mechanics but what i'm confused about, is I managed to remove the black plate (was a very thin herring bone style flimsy black plastic), but I was not able to locate the lumbar plate. Once i'd removed the black plate, all I see is a sold piece of foam.
Do I need to cut into that foam in order to locate and remove the lumbar plate?
I was close to cutting a leather patch to access the seat from the front because I'm so desperate to get this lumbar sorted otherwise I, just like many who commented on your guide, will have no choice but to sell a car which I only purchased 4 wks ago. I loved the car, but my back is totally wrecked from the lumbar plate protruding into my lower rear/back.
Please help. I'm really sad that I may have to sell the car and take a significant loss.
Thanks so much.
You've been a real help to many Honda Accord owner's who have suffered from these terrible seats.
(sorry for sending you a private msg...i'm really not familiar with using forum's so not sure where or how to post msg's on the threads).
Thanks

Old 07-20-2013, 10:52 AM
Default Anyone, please Help!!! i can't find the lumbar plate after taking the seat back off

[QUOTE=fletch594;312630]
Originally Posted by MBMM
I wish I would have found this before I picked up my 2010 ex-l!

I've had it for 3 days, can't take it. The driver seat lumbar support in this thing is so unbearable that after driving for about 15 minutes the discomfort in my back makes it undriveable. For the record, I am a healthy male, barely 150lbs, and have no back issues. I am in sales and have owned and driven many makes and models (including Honda) well over 100,000 miles over the years with absolutely no seat/comfort issues. I have put about 200 miles on this car and have strained my back through every single one of them.

@Fletch594, that is what I am thinking. Problem is, looking at the seat, I have no idea where to start without destroying it.

I felt the same about my car but thought I couldn't make the seat any worse. I really didnt want to mess with ruining a car wth less than 2000 miles on it. I am sure you can do a little research here and figure it out.... With my seat the back part came off easy.... Just unhooked the straps under the seat and slid the seat covers off.... Some seats have zippers... These seats just had 2 plastic pieces that fit together to keep the back of the seat tight... And I just slid them each to the side and the whole back of the seat was exposed. Then you just need to figure out how to take off the lumbar piece.... Mine had 2 wires that were clipped onto it and the power cable at the top. For me to take the whole seat apart I would never have remembered how it wet back together... So I cut the cable with wire cutters and just unsnapped the wires... The lumbar piece came right out. I was worried that the seat may not have enough support once it was removed but since then it has been completely fine and pain free. Some people have put in extra padding or had to bend new wires for their seats but I didn't. The car is now fine but I never would have kept it with the seat the way it was....

Sorry to drag this old thread up, but i'm also having some problems with my 2012 accord ex-l cpe.
I tried to follow MikeBike's guide but my seat back appears very different (lots of springs and levers which were very difficult to remove) to the pics in his guide.
I understand that the different years have variances in the seat mechanics but what i'm confused about, is I managed to remove the black plate (was a very thin herring bone style flimsy black plastic), but I was not able to locate the lumbar plate. Once i'd removed the black plate, all I see is a sold piece of foam.
I was close to cutting a leather patch to access the seat from the front because I'm so desperate to get this lumbar sorted otherwise I, just like many who commented on your guide, will have no choice but to sell a car which I only purchased 4 wks ago. I loved the car, but my back is totally wrecked from the lumbar plate protruding into my lower rear/back.
Please help. I'm really sad that I may have to sell the car and take a significant loss.
Thanks so much.
You've been a real help to many Honda Accord owner's who have suffered from these terrible seats.

Old 07-28-2013, 11:49 AM
Default accord

farmanz,

Not sure exactly what to tell you about removing the lumbar plate other than what I did, I am not a car guy at all. The plastic piece that I removed was the first thing I could see when I removed the back of the seat. It was white, maybe 10" long and connected to the seat with 2 snap in wires that ran horizontally, and connected at the top of the seat by the wire which was controlled on the side of the seat. The wire enables the lumbar piece to go in and out via the control on the side of the seat by the 8 way adjustable seat control. It is not a big piece that you are removing. Like I said before, I dont know exactly how to remove it other than cutting the top wire and unsnapping the wires that support it. Once removed it provides just enough to make the car driveable without back pain, I wouldn't say comfortable, but it definately relieved the back pain. I dont have any old pictures to show you exactly what it looks like, sorry. I also have an EXL 2012 Accord and drove it for a few months since it was better on gas than the V6, and the back pain immediately came back. I couldnt believe both cars gave me such back pain. I had stated in an earlier post that the EXL seat was not as uncomfortable as the EX V6, but I was wrong, they are both terrible. I cannot wait to finish these leases and I will never again get another Accord. Probably back to Toyota for me.

Old 07-29-2013, 06:05 AM

[QUOTE=farmanz79;327090]
Originally Posted by fletch594

Sorry to drag this old thread up, but i'm also having some problems with my 2012 accord ex-l cpe.
I tried to follow MikeBike's guide but my seat back appears very different (lots of springs and levers which were very difficult to remove) to the pics in his guide.
Thanks so much.
Could you post a pic of your seat? My 2012 EX-L is like the photo's in this thread.

Old 09-30-2013, 08:36 PM

Thanks.... Taking out the lumbar support in my 2012 Accord was a quick fix for my back (15 mins). Bought this vehicle a few months ago and was sorry I did. Now I can enjoy driving my Accord too.

Vette

Old 10-01-2013, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by Corvette2005
Thanks.... Taking out the lumbar support in my 2012 Accord was a quick fix for my back (15 mins). Bought this vehicle a few months ago and was sorry I did. Now I can enjoy driving my Accord too.

Vette
Glad you could ''fix' Honda's engineering. I am still unhappy with the seat, its just tolerable now. Had the car for 13 months and 24K uncomfortable miles. So much for a quality car.

Old 01-13-2014, 12:16 PM

I Hope The new 2013 Accord seats are better than what we have.

Old 01-14-2014, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by Mikebike125
I Hope The new 2013 Accord seats are better than what we have.
I took mt '12 Accord in between Christmas and New Years, looking to trade it for a '14 Accord. After being offered close to nothing at the Chevy and Ford dealers, I figured Honda would have to give me a decent trade in. I drove the '14 and the seats were better than the '12, but that's not saying much. More padding and the seat bottom felt longer than the '12. The car is basic transportation with a 29K sticker for an EX-L. Long story short I was offered 14K for my 16 month old car. So much for good resale value. I would look into a Taurus or an Impala instead of Honda.

Old 01-15-2014, 11:36 AM

I'm new to this forum and very much appreciate the input. Just bought a used 2010 Accord EXL and the seat is killing me. The adjustable lumbar support retracts fully, but the large hump just above the adjustable support stays put and leaves much pain. Has anyone tried the varoius repairs mentioned here on a 2010 model and did they work? I'm gonna rip out the back of the seat tonight to try it. Hoping to hear success stories first. Love the car otherwise.

Old 01-19-2014, 05:34 PM

I modified my 2010 Accord by taking off the back panel on the front seats (leather) and removing the bottom thick wire that holds the active head restraint system in place. I also replaced the upper wire by fabricating a longer wire out of an old tomato cage and a pair of pliers. Mostly as described by MikeBike in earlier posts. Took about 20 minutes. Far more comfortable now.

Quick Reply: Anone modify their 2008-2010 seats large LUMBAR lump?