General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another power steering problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 12:19 PM
Default Another power steering problem

The car is a 1999 1.85 VTech Honda Accord (European not American).

A couple of months back I was stuck in a contra-flo when i noticed a whining noise. When I finally managed to find a place to pull over about 2 hours later there was fluid sprayed out of the resovoir, the fluid was foaming over and the noise sounded like it was soming from the pump. Nipped off to Halfords, got a bottle of fluid to top it up with, and drove home (as I was in Scotland this was about 250 miles). Kept an eye on the fluid level regularly on the way home. However I then discovered that Honda required specific fluid (from this very forum).

Following the advice I read on here I purged the system and refilled with fresh honda fluid, ran it for a couple of days then repeated. However the whine just kept getting worse as did the foaming. I bit the bullet, replaced the pump (bearings felt shot compared to the new one). Was fine for a couple of weeks. Then the whine returned as did the foaming. The fluid meanwhile has gone so dark its like a bad pint of guiness.

Again foloowing advice from this forum I replaced the O ring on the pump end of the hose that goes to the steering rack. Soaked it in fluid for ten minutes then bolted it down fairly firmly, but didn't overtighten.

Now the car sounds as bad as it ever has. It is not currently foaming over though it is still foaming. The foaming tells me air is being sucked in. The fluid apparently darkens when it absorbs water vapor from the air. Air being sucked in would accelerate this I believe. What I cannot figure out is where the air could be being sucked in from.

Please help. I am at my wit's end with the thing...

Old 10-15-2010, 09:01 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

You are going to need to clean up the PS components and look for leaks.

Old 10-16-2010, 08:13 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Foaming is caused by air being pulled into the PS fluid from the suction side (reservoir to pump). There may not be an external leak while operating, although w/ engine off pressures may equalize and fluid could leak. Look carefully along the suction path for evidence of damage to hose or connections.

good luck