General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Antifreeze running inside the motor

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 08:29 AM
Super Moderator

That is why I suggested the Blue Devil Head Gasket sealer......

Old 04-07-2013, 02:57 PM
Super Moderator

I don't think I would run on only water as my coolant. Antifreeze has other additives that prevent corrosion in the radiator, water pump, and heater core.

I would think that water would corrode metal more than ethylene glycol.

Old 04-07-2013, 03:03 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by PAhonda
I don't think I would run on only water as my coolant. Antifreeze has other additives that prevent corrosion in the radiator, water pump, and heater core.

I would think that water would corrode metal more than ethylene glycol.
I believe the OP stated he's already assuming the engine is a write-off, and while water may cause corrosion inside the motor, that would be the least of his worries compared to what will happen to the engine bearings if he runs ethylene glycol. At the concentrations he's talking about I seriously doubt the bearings will last even five thousand more miles if constantly subject to the corrosive effects of ethylene glycol.

Old 04-07-2013, 03:29 PM
Super Moderator

Shipo, I understand that part of his post.

I think water would mess up the bearings as quick (if not quicker) than ethylene glycol.

Old 04-07-2013, 07:22 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Shipo, I understand that part of his post.

I think water would mess up the bearings as quick (if not quicker) than ethylene glycol.
Nope, lots of published science on the subject; water doesn't react with the bearing material, propylene glycol does to a certain degree, but ethylene glycol is a certain death sentence for bearing material.

Old 07-21-2013, 01:47 PM

As an update to what is going on with the truck, I flushed the coolant system and used a leak stop product that requires of water only inside the system.

After following the instructions, I decided not to fill up the coolant system with water mixed with coolant but I fill it up with water alone.

Even so, I continued changing the oil every one thousand miles. There were no sigs of mixing fluids, but the oil came out more clear each time. The machine runs much much better after these 1,000 miles replacements.

I have returned back to the old schedule, and very soon the truck will be ready for its 3,000 miles oil change. I will check the results, if the problem has been fixed. I'll hope it does, so I can add coolant to the radiator (50/50) before Winter.

Old 07-21-2013, 04:45 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Corrosion can occur very quickly w/ water alone. You should drain/add a coolant w/ corrosion inhibitors.

good luck

Old 10-07-2013, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
Corrosion can occur very quickly w/ water alone. You should drain/add a coolant w/ corrosion inhibitors.

good luck
I was looking for an enviromentally friendly anti-freeze fluid and only one brand appears to carry it. But, funny, the company wants a subscription of the customer in order to sell the product.

Propylene Glycol Antifreeze - Buy Biodegradable Low Tox AMSOIL here.

Of course, I prefer the regular anti-freeze bought in a store paid with cash and have not to be forced to give my personal information to anyone.

The problem with the leak appears to be solved anyway and I think I can use any anti-freeze at this time. In case there is still a leak, well, I will continue changing the motor oil every thousand miles until the truck finally dies.

Old 10-07-2013, 12:00 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by darkseat
I was looking for an enviromentally friendly anti-freeze fluid and only one brand appears to carry it. But, funny, the company wants a subscription of the customer in order to sell the product.

Propylene Glycol Antifreeze - Buy Biodegradable Low Tox AMSOIL here.

Of course, I prefer the regular anti-freeze bought in a store paid with cash and have not to be forced to give my personal information to anyone.

The problem with the leak appears to be solved anyway and I think I can use any anti-freeze at this time. In case there is still a leak, well, I will continue changing the motor oil every thousand miles until the truck finally dies.
I was faced with the same dilemma as you; I refuse to buy Amsoil products as I abhor their business model and their marketing practices, and in my search I came across the propylene glycol based (the stuff which is far less toxic to engine internals, bearings especially, and they environment as well) Sierra product from the Peak antifreeze company. Here's a link to the Peak page for Sierra:

PEAK | SIERRA | Antifreeze / Coolants | Auto Products

Old 10-08-2013, 09:13 AM
Super Moderator

And I've seen the Peak stuff in normal stores like Walmart etc.