General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Any ideas- what can be wrong ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2019, 08:33 PM
Default Any ideas- what can be wrong ?

Hello All,

I have a 2005 Honda Accord. Recently, it shut off while I was driving it. All the lights on the dash turned off- and it wouldn’t kick over. I assumed it was the battery. After replacing the battery, I figured the battery icon would reset. It hasn’t and is still flashing more so when the car is driving low speed . My battery did have some corrosion before I changed it out.- The alternator had been checked and it isn’t the problem. I do have a bad O2 sensor- the upper needs to be replaced not sure If this can be causing the battery icon to come
on and the car to turn off? I’m just not sure what else it can be. Any ideas, or suggestion would be appreciated.

Thanks in Advance,

Melissa

Last edited by XXMelissaXX; 10-07-2019 at 08:38 PM.
Old 10-07-2019, 08:35 PM
Super Moderator

The battery icon is related to the charging system.

Old 10-08-2019, 07:26 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Have the alternator checked again. It could be your battery cables. Check for corrosion and ground

Old 10-08-2019, 08:24 AM
Super Moderator

Even with a good alternator, the problem might be in the car's wiring. Not only the battery cables, but also the harness for the alternator. The car's PCM has some control over the alternator and if those signals are lost from a broken wire or something … ?

Old 10-08-2019, 10:03 AM

Hello,

I recently had the ground to the battery changed out. I had the alternator checked about 3x different times. My next step will be to have the wiring checked, the battery did have lots of corrosion. Where is the alternator harness located? Under the alternator? Is there another ground aside from the one on the battery?

Thanks for your posts!

Melissa

Old 10-08-2019, 10:07 AM

The alternator cable is that is a harness. You should check the 2 to make sure they are good. connected to the alternator by bolt. That cable should run to your positive battery terminal. Also you should have a plug going in to the alternator.

Old 10-08-2019, 10:58 AM
Default Alternator harness

I know the cable connected to the battery did have some corrosion. I will check else where for additional corrosion. My battery doesn’t sit firmly it slides slightly to the left side. Think this might be a issue too?

I will have the harness checked for corrosion and if it needs to be replaced. Are there any tests we can conduct to see if the wires are bad and need to be replaced? I recently changed the ground that connects to the battery. At least that one item off the list!

Thanks for your post

Melissa

Old 10-08-2019, 11:11 AM

As long as everything is tight your battery sliding is not an issue. More than likely if your cables are good you have an alternator on it's way out. I would take it to another part store to have it checked. I just went through the same thing with a coworker. He had it tested by a shop and it tested good. I tested it and it was in the yellow just enough to cause issues. I replaced it and problem was fixed.

You must make sure your cables and harness are good before testing the alternator. More than likely your positive terminal was corroded or not tightened. Once you clean it and tighten have it tested.

Old 10-08-2019, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator

Disconnect the 2 cables from the battery so you don't short something out.

Both cables that were attached to the battery - follow each cable to the other end & check how its fastened. Each one may split & connect to more than 1 place. Clean & tighten if needed.

The largest branch of the (+) cable should go to the starter. When checking that, it's important that the battery isn't connected so you don't make a shower of sparks.

The alternator has a larger wire, probably connected with a stud & nut. That one delivers the power to keep the battery charged. Then there's a plug with a few more smaller wires, plugged into the alternator somewhere. Check that bundle of wires for being cut, damaged, or maybe pinched underneath something.

Then there's also a ground wire that somehow connects between the engine to the metal of the car. I don't have a 2005 shop manual so I can't show you exactly where that is.

If your battery is able to move around, that's not the best, because when it moves it might have pinched some of the wires. Figure out how to fix the brackets that hold the battery in place.