General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto-Locking feature engages when accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 08:13 AM
Exclamation Auto-Locking feature engages when accelerating

I have a 2008 Honda Accord EXL 4Cyl.

I just purchased the car with 108,000 miles on it.

I noticed that the auto-lock feature that engages when you first start driving will also engage EVERY TIME I come to a stop and then accelerate. And also engages in traffic when my speed is around 5-15PMG and I start to accelerate. I read into the problem and was told the Driver Side Door Lock Actuator is to blame for this problem. I had the actuator replaced yesterday and it is still happening. Can someone please help me figure out why this is happening. I assume being an older model car this problem has a solution already. If you fixed this problem already please let me know. I stay in traffic often and the noise is starting to drive me bonkers.

Old 01-13-2015, 08:49 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

If door keeps locking, the system likely thinks the door is unlocked. This suggests a false unlocked signal is being sent even when door is locked. It may take a Honda HDS system to find the fault and confirm.

There may be a diagnostic code stored in the B-Can system. I'm not aware of any way to get the code except w/ HDS scanner. These are available aftermarket (China) for about $100. I have no info on how well these knock-offs work though.

good luck

Old 01-13-2015, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
If door keeps locking, the system likely thinks the door is unlocked. This suggests a false unlocked signal is being sent even when door is locked. It may take a Honda HDS system to find the fault and confirm.

There may be a diagnostic code stored in the B-Can system. I'm not aware of any way to get the code except w/ HDS scanner. These are available aftermarket (China) for about $100. I have no info on how well these knock-offs work though.

good luck

I guess I should have mentioned. The auto-locking is engaging on ALL doors when accelerating. Not just front left door that has the new actuator. And no codes are stored in the system.

Old 01-13-2015, 09:26 AM

Auto-locking always engages all the doors so that's no surprising. It may be that this particular fault does not set a DTC since it is perceived as a "normal" possibility (door lock in open position while moving).

A HDS may be able to show that a false open condition is occuring while moving even if no DTC is set.

good luck

Old 01-14-2015, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
Auto-locking always engages all the doors so that's no surprising. It may be that this particular fault does not set a DTC since it is perceived as a "normal" possibility (door lock in open position while moving).

A HDS may be able to show that a false open condition is occuring while moving even if no DTC is set.

good luck

what is a HDS? and how can I get this?

Old 01-14-2015, 11:15 AM

Honda HDS: Other Diagnostic Service Tools | eBay

Other sources on web.

good luck

Old 01-19-2015, 05:06 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ajcrouch728
I have a 2008 Honda Accord EXL 4Cyl.

I just purchased the car with 108,000 miles on it.

I noticed that the auto-lock feature that engages when you first start driving will also engage EVERY TIME I come to a stop and then accelerate. And also engages in traffic when my speed is around 5-15PMG and I start to accelerate. I read into the problem and was told the Driver Side Door Lock Actuator is to blame for this problem. I had the actuator replaced yesterday and it is still happening. Can someone please help me figure out why this is happening. I assume being an older model car this problem has a solution already. If you fixed this problem already please let me know. I stay in traffic often and the noise is starting to drive me bonkers.
Your issue sounds similar to my response in post # 8 of this other thread:
https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...lved%5D-60523/

However, the wiring is a little different for a 2008 Accord vs. 03-05 Accords.

For your car, the issue may be due to:

• Black ground wire that goes from the driver's door lock **** switch to ground G501. --Unlike the 03-05 Accords, there is no connector on the 2008 Accord at the door jamb where the rubber cover is. On the 2008 Accord the wiring goes through the door jamb to a connector inside the driver's kick panel area.
  • Intermittent open in Wht wire that runs between the driver's door lock **** switch and the driver's door control unit.
  • Faulty driver's door lock actuator (probably not the issue, since you changed it before)
The Wht harness wire can be tested for continuity after you unplug the harness connector from the actuator side and the driver's door control unit. To test for continuity, set the multimeter to either the "ohms" or the setting it will beep when you hold the two leads together.
  • If your meter beeps, it means you have continuity.
  • If it is on ohms scale, you will have continuity when it reads close to 0 ohms.
  • If it doesn't beep , shows OL (open line) or a 1 (infinity ohms); it means you don't have continuity.

Attached Thumbnails Auto-Locking feature engages when accelerating-connector-drivers-door-lock-actuator-knob-switch.jpg   Auto-Locking feature engages when accelerating-master-window-door-switch-harness.jpg