General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter engages but will not turn over

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 11:33 PM
Default Starter engages but will not turn over

So my 1997 accord broke the timing belt a year and a half ago and it's been sitting in my garage the whole time till I decide to replace the timing belt, crank shaft belt, bent valves, water pump and the head gasket, last week.

Did everything by the book but had a problem starting the car. The starter seem to engage but will not turn the engine. So pulled it out and had it tested at autozone, but it passed. I bought another one just for the heck of it and had it tested before I left the store, and it too passed.

Came back home installed it, and it behaved just like the old one. It clicks and the gear pops out to engage the torque converter but will not turn. I replaced the battery with a new one and cleaned the grounds, still same problem.

I can freely rotate the engine untie clockwise so I know the engine is not locked up. So I pulled the new starter out and hotwired it. When I turn the key, the gear pops out to engage but will not turn whatsoever. Same goes for the old starter.

The battery reads 12V but when I turn the key and the gear pops out, voltage drops to about 7.5V. The lights dim, and still will not turn over. Could it be that I happen to have 2 faulty starters even though they've all been tested and passed? All grounds are clean with good connection. Any help will be appreciated.

Old 01-14-2015, 06:22 AM

Battery voltage should stay above 10 to 10.5 volts while cranking. A voltage drop below that usually indicates a bad battery. Often times a bad battery will create the clicking sound which can be mistaken for a bad starter. I you tried jump starting the car. If it starts with a jump start then replace your battery. If it does not then I can describe to you how to bypass part of the ignition system to see if it starts. I will post more on that later. Good luck.

Old 01-14-2015, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Turtlehead
Battery voltage should stay above 10 to 10.5 volts while cranking. A voltage drop below that usually indicates a bad battery. Often times a bad battery will create the clicking sound which can be mistaken for a bad starter. I you tried jump starting the car. If it starts with a jump start then replace your battery. If it does not then I can describe to you how to bypass part of the ignition system to see if it starts. I will post more on that later. Good luck.
Thanks for the reply. I've tried jump starting with another car but I get the same results.
Could you please explain to me how I could bypass the ignition just to get the starter to spin?

Old 01-15-2015, 06:51 AM

Simply disconnect the single wire on the starter (the one that clips on not the one with the nut). Get a long enough wire to reach from the positive terminal on the battery to the starter. If car is a manual be certain it is in neutral if it's an auto it needs to be in park. Turn the key to the run position, now jump from the positive terminal on the battery to the little prong that sticks out of the starter where the wire was disconnected. The car should crank and start. Good luck.

Old 01-16-2015, 04:03 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Before any further start attempts, you should check that engine can be manually rotated from the crankshaft pulley bolt using 1/2 extensions, 19mm socket, and 1/2" ratchet. You could have assembled something incorrectly and engine is binding.

good luck