General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Automatic Tranny Shift Lever / Shifting

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 01:34 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Automatic Tranny Shift Lever / Shifting

New to me 96 EX didnt have screws in the shift lever so every time you moved it just so the spring shot the button out. I googled the thread size to be m5x8 so ran to the parts store and got a couple. Installed and figured out why seller removed the screws. They hadnt fallen out.

With the screws in the little button doesnt push down on the bar enough to put the car back into park. (the replacement screws are not pushing against the inner thingy) If you take the handle off and push it with your finger it shifts to park. If you use your hand on the pipe all is good. There may be a little button wear but we are talking less than 1/16 of an inch if I had to guess. But it appears that the button is not pushing the pin down far enough.

I cannot imagine the cables being out of adjustment since it works without the **** but I am a little lost. I saw the little push pin with plastic on ebay that the handle button is pushing down on. Any suggestions appreciated!

If anyone has had to replace the button shout out. My 90 with auto has never required a new button so I think I am looking in the wrong place. Thanks!

Old 04-19-2014, 09:35 AM
Super Moderator

Might not hurt to go to the dealer and get a new button......or a trip to a bone yard and get the whole "handle"?

Attached Thumbnails Automatic Tranny Shift Lever / Shifting-5th-gen-shifter-auto.jpg  
Old 04-19-2014, 12:51 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by poorman212
Might not hurt to go to the dealer and get a new button......or a trip to a bone yard and get the whole "handle"?

You get the gold star! Your picture solved the issue. I didnt know the tip had threads. Unscrewed it a couple of turns made everything right. Thanks!