General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Back from holiday and my car is dead!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 04:26 AM
Default Back from holiday and my car is dead!

Hi
I'm new to all this so apologies if I breach any etiquette.

I've just returned from holiday and getting no response from the car. Its a 2004 Accord 2.4 I-vtec SE.
Whilst I was away my mother moved the car a few inches to gain access to my garage but apart from that it hasn't moved in 4 weeks.

The story goes like this:
When I went to get the car the first time after hols, the key wouldn't remotely unlock the car and so I unlocked manually. This resulted in the alarm going off which was then able to be silenced with the key remote.
Got in, turned the key and nothing. A single click but that is it.

When the key is inserted and turned to position II, the green key security light flashes telling me that the security code is not recognised. This happens whichever key I used (I have two - and one came with me on a long flight and the other stayed in this country so it's not an altitude issue!)
I have read elsewhere that if its the immobiliser the car will crank but not start - in this case the car is not cranking at all.

A voltmeter tells me the battery is at 8 volts. I left it on trickle charge overnight (actually for about 18 hours) and the voltage is now, still, 8V.
What is puzzling is that the battery charger has a series of lights that give me a simple voltmeter reading (0, 25%, 50%, etc) - these are telling me that the battery is 'Full' - and was 'Full' when I first connected it up.
So I'm now not sure if my voltmeter is working.

When the battery is connected up and the key is in the ignition (and green light flashing) the headlamps do not come on - flat battery or a result of the immobiliser? Hazards work but they seemed dimmer than normal - but in daylight I wasn't sure.

I haven't connected back up and done any more tests because I have to head out for the day right now. My plan was to find a garage whilst I'm out and get them to do a volt & amp test on the battery with their equipment.

I appreciate there are probably a few more tests I could do but at this stage does anybody have any thoughts or advice?

Thanks!

Old 05-14-2012, 10:20 AM
Super Moderator

Sounds like a dead battery.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:30 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

A voltmeter tells me the battery is at 8 volts. I left it on trickle charge overnight (actually for about 18 hours) and the voltage is now, still, 8V. What is puzzling is that the battery charger has a series of lights that give me a simple voltmeter reading (0, 25%, 50%, etc) - these are telling me that the battery is 'Full' - and was 'Full' when I first connected it up.

So I'm now not sure if my voltmeter is working.
Use your voltmeter to test another car's battery. If you see 12+ volts on your voltmeter then the battery on your car is dead @ 8V. IDK what your battery charger indicator lights are indicating.
My plan was to find a garage whilst I'm out and get them to do a volt & amp test on the battery with their equipment.
Good plan.

Old 05-15-2012, 07:02 AM

Thanks for your responses.

At the garage, their equipment agreed with my voltmeter and clocked it around 8V. When they then loaded the battery, it dropped to around 2V! We concluded it was a dead battery.

New one was bought and was fitted this morning. The car started first time and has survived a run to the supermarket!

Looks like a new battery was the solution but I'll be keeping a sharp eye on it.

Now I just need to track down the radio key code...

Old 05-15-2012, 08:59 AM

Yea when your brother moved the car the lights may have been left on, door not shut all the way, multiple things could have happened. Good batteries should check in at 12-13v. When running that should be 13-14v.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:26 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Drumma
Thanks for your responses.

You can also get the radio code from the American Honda website or call American Honda customer service; phone number on the website or contact a local Honda dealer.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Drumma

Sometimes it is on a card in the owners manual, or on my 03 it was on a sticker on the glove box when you pull it out to change the cabin air filter