General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Back into park ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 06:59 PM
Default Back into park ?

I'm stumped! I've checked for previous answers to this question but none of them seem to fit my situation. Please Help me.
Drove 89 Accord for about 1.5 hours...no problems. Stopped to get food tried to put trans in park. Wouldn't go into park without excessive force. Once in park it takes excessive force to get it out. The switch activated by stepping on the break works perfectly every time.Checked for shift cable adjustment, it's fine.Break lights come on when you step on break. Was going to test thecontinuity of all the wires in the neutral starter switch but my switch isdifferent from the one shownin the Haynes Repair Manual Honda Accord for 1984 thru 1989 all models.
AfterI removed the Lock Pin and slid the shift cable out of the adjuster I tried to move the cable end inandout of theneutral position by hand. I couldn't get it to move into what you would think is thePark position. It's possible I couldn't do this without the leverage from the shift lever. Whatshould I do next.
Thanks

Old 10-17-2008, 07:20 AM
Default RE: Back into park ?

Check the shifter itself, something may be warn on the track.

Old 10-17-2008, 10:59 PM
Super Moderator

Un-hook the trans end of the cable as well to check for binding....pain in the butt to get the shroud off and the super tiny cotter pin, that has to be installed just perfectly; however that is the only way to have a correct diagnose.
From your description of the problem I am mostly suspect of the cable, or you were out stump jumping in a field and put a major kink in the cable LOL

Old 10-17-2008, 11:07 PM

just as what hondadude and 08coupex said..also check the button in your lever that you use to shift to drive,reverse or park...maybe its not pushing it far enough...

Old 10-18-2008, 08:01 AM

Thanks 08Coupex, Hondadude and Ford. I will try all your suggestions and Hondadude, haven't been stump jumping because, like you I have a 1986 Yota 265 K with the 22r engine. Still runs good not as much pep as once was. Idon't really stump jump in it either butI do get it muddy a lot. Where do you get parts for your Honda and Yota?
THANKS AGAIN GUYS !
__________________________________________________ ______________________

Old 10-19-2008, 11:12 AM

I've inspectedall theshifter parts and can't find anything worn or broken. Everything works smoothly in the shifter and the solenoid switchworkseverytimeI apply the brakes.Idon'tbelieve the neutral starter switch is the problem.I pulled the car up on ramps andtook off thesmall cast plate (one 10mm bolt)where the cable enters thetransmission.With the cable unhooked from the shifter I checked the movement of the cabel by pulling and pushing on the cable and feeling for the clicks/stops of each gear.The shifting feels smooththrough all these points except the last position which I think is the park position. Youfeel aroughnessas you try topushthe cable onthrough to the park position. When I shifted the cable, at thelarge metal bulb/stop location,out away from it's "rest"/slot on thewall of the transmission the cable shifted easily into all the click stops. Basically this means the cable end is not attached to the transmission. I have to let thelarge metal stop/bulb thing move pastit's stop/rest position but it doesallow the push intopark to happensmoothly. I resetthe position of the cable and shifter into neutral and did the adjustment procedure. Then came the moment of truth. We did the testdrive...all didnot go well. I am off one notch in the transmission.Everythingworks smoothly exceptD4ended up in theneutralposition and neutral in the reverse place. YouCAN push the shift lever easily to it's end stop and it willgo into park and youcan remove the key. The transmissiondid shift through all 4 gears correctly.We noticed a big loss of power as we slowly accelerated out of a sharp curve. I thinkthe transmission was still inhigh gear. It was as if it was slipping. The check engine lightcame on shortly after that.
Do you think the cable is bad and if it is do I have to go inside the housing to remove/attach the new cable to the shift arm?
I really appreciate the help guys. I need this car badly.
-
1989 Accord sedan 135K 2000 cc
1986 Toyota 4-Runner 265K

Old 10-19-2008, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I don't know details of 89 Accord, but looking at the 90 Accord shop manual, the shift lock solenoid position must be carefully adjusted to insure the lock-out mechanism is opened for shifting. A loose or mis-positioned solenoid would likely cause shift problems even though it was stroking the mechanism.

It may be helpful to download a manual from Online Manuals DIY section. There are several 90-93 Accord manuals available which should provide guidance. Maybe a 89 manual, but I haven't checked.

good luck