General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Bad ball joints possible cv axle???

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 07:44 AM
Exclamation Bad ball joints possible cv axle???

Hello I am a first time poster to this forum and a first time Honda owner. I got my car(97 accord coupe special edition, non-vtech auto) knowing that it needed a ball joint replaced but which one is was unsure of. After driving the car for about a month and getting used to all of its little quirks, I have noticed a few things. When I take off and let off the throttle and the transmission shifts into a lower gear,(((NOT KICKING DOWN, LETTING OFF))) the drive axle clunks(so it sounds anyways) but that is the only time I have heard any noise. Maybe possibly the ball joint? or trans/motor mount? i just have no clue how these cars are set up. and the other problem i have ran into is sometimes when i turn it you can hear and feel a clunking that it seems to me is the driver side cv axle. I just replaced my tie rod ends last night and that just stiffened my steering up a little. Any help at all is very much appreciated. Thanks
-Dakotah

Old 11-08-2012, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

From your description, a new CV axle is in the future. Look for a ruptured boot and leaking grease to confirm.

Recommend a premium CV axle. I have had terrible luck w/ Autozone's rebuilt axles and eventually went w/ raxles to remedy a drivetrain vibration under acceleration problem.

Carefully inspect the anti-sway bar bushings where they tie to the suspension lower arm. They wear out, get loose and cause clunking when turning and hitting a bump.

good luck

Old 11-08-2012, 12:17 PM

thanks for the help!! i was underneath the car last night replacing the tie rod ends and noticed that when you spin the wheel back and forth when the front wheels are off the ground it clunks. but i am thinking you are right about the cv shafts. i have heard terrible things about autozones reman cv shafts so i am going to have to check into some other options