General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 01:04 AM
arcticcat27
Unregistered
Default Bad oil leak

Hello all,

I recently puchased a 91 and it has started to leak oil very badly. Its coming from somewhere on the front of the engine looks to be under the alternator. Ive heard from some that a common problem is the oil pressure sending unit tends to leak. That is where the oil seems to be coming from but you cant really see it without removing the alternator. If anyone has any insight or ideas it would be helpful before I go tearing into it.

Thanks

1991 Accord
1973 CB500

Old 10-06-2008, 02:32 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Bad oil leak

The oil sending unit is on the back of the engine block near the oil filter, so that is not likely.

You should do your best to degrease the engine block and find the highest spot of the oil leak. The most likely source is from the valve cover gasket on the front driver's side of the engine. Also consider the camshaft seal or possibly the balance shaft seal (Both of those seals are behind the timing belt cover). Do your best to locate the leak.

Old 10-06-2008, 07:20 AM

I will be replacing my Timming belts in the next couple of weeks and need to ask about the cam and ballance shaft seals.

Are they easily replacable while doing the belts and should they just be done while there to avoid future problems?

Mine is a '91 accord wagon F22A6 and I will do the water pump as you mentioned earlier.

I don't have a bad leak but I do see some evidence that appears to be from under the TB cover.

Thanks

Gary

Old 10-06-2008, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

The rear balance shaft cover oring seal should be replaced w/ TBelts. It's easy and will usually begin to leak by your vehicles age. It does require maintaining alignment of the balance shaft and balance shaft cover gear that is engaged. I have a pdf file on this alignment. PM your email address and I'll forward.

There are different opinions on camshaft, forward balance shaft, and crankshaftseals, but they are replaceable during T'belt work. I would leave them alone unless they are visibly leaking, but they are cheap and not too hard to replace. Install a seal retainer on the forward balance shaft seal.

good luck