General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Balance Shaft Belt Removal

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 10:01 AM
Vcong
Unregistered
Default Balance Shaft Belt Removal

I've just recently changed Timing Belt and Balance Shaft Belt on my Accord 96 VTEC after the Balance Belt snapped and made the Timing Belt jump gears. All exhaust valves were bent and had all replaced. Initially, there was loud whinning when engine was run after belt replacement. The belts were inspected and Balance belt was noted to be too tight so it was re-adjusted. Now the whinning is gone but I am not totally satisfied with the sound around the timing belt area. My thought is that the Balance Shaft is not turning smoothly. Could I just remove the Balance Shaft Belt altogether for fear it might snap again if I let it as it is now? BTW, I just had both Timing Belt and Balance Shaft Belt replaced a year ago at 80T kms and the replacement Balancer Belt snapped at 92T kms.

Old 09-08-2008, 02:05 PM
Default RE: Balance Shaft Belt Removal

it's my understanding that the balance shaft is there to remove vibration

Old 09-08-2008, 05:42 PM
Super Moderator

You can remove the counter balance belt, but you will feel like you are riding in a helicopter.

Remember those hueys they used to fly us out to the missle sites with?

Stock up on motor mounts.

Old 09-09-2008, 11:15 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: Vcong
BTW, I just had both Timing Belt and Balance Shaft Belt replaced a year ago at 80T kms and the replacement Balancer Belt snapped at 92T kms.
that sounds odd,belt gone after 12k miles .. either the shop did something wrong when doing the job or they used a very, very cheap belt,, bal belts should last at least 70-90k miles if not more ..and since it has only been 12k miles, is it under warranty ?? most shops warranty their work at least 1 year or 12k miles ,, I would inquire about that with the shop that did the job last year