General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

best air filter for Accord 2000 EX V6

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 03:27 PM
luvaccord2k
Unregistered
Default best air filter for Accord 2000 EX V6

hi,
I need to get my air filter replaced (last service my mechanic suggested i get it changed).
Any ideas on the best ones to go for? If anything on this topic is already available on the forum, i couldn't find it.
Kindly direct me there .....

thanks,
AG

Old 03-22-2008, 03:33 PM
Default RE: best air filter for Accord 2000 EX V6

There's no best. Just buy Honda or aname brand and change it on a timely basis.

Old 03-25-2008, 03:02 PM
luvaccord2k
Unregistered

Thanks for the reply. I went to AutoZone and bought an STP instead of a FRAM, the guy said it was OEM although I don't think so!!
Now i'll either get it changed or go through the DIY section and replace it myself

Old 03-25-2008, 03:09 PM

Please DIY it! All you have to do is take a few clips off the cover of the air box, pull the old one out, and put the new one in. You don't even need any tools!Seriously it shouldn't take more than 30 seconds. Any garage that would actually charge you to do that should be put out of business and the techs arrested. Come to think of it, I bet one of the cashiers at AutoZone would do it for you for free if you ask them nicely.

Old 03-25-2008, 03:16 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

yes, they will...

also, i'm a believer in K&N's filters; but with a stock intake you might not really care to get that.. you won't notice hardly anything unless your filter was as muddy as an ocean floor.

Old 03-30-2008, 04:45 PM
luvaccord2k
Unregistered

Thanks guys,

I did it myself today by borrowing the philips screwdriver at AutoZone. Now i realize why it looks incredulous when people like me try to go to service centers for such small things, its SO DARN SIMPLE to replace it!!!!! It was literally 30 secs as 00AccordLX5spd mentioned correctly above (minus the time taken to unscrew the filter). Btw i dropped one of the screws in the area around the air filter (where my hand is unable to reach) so i fastened it with 3 remaining screws only. Does this create any problems? Meaning, can this loose screw do any damage to the engine (please understand I am a COMPLETE novice under the hood, hence the stupid questions[sm=lame.gif])

I noticed another thing, the existing filter seemed to be K&N filter, and i remember reading somewhere that these are pretty good and last for 1 million miles or so (my current milage is 106k), hence I didn't throw this one. When I told the same to the Autozone cashier he suggested me to go for a K&N filter restoration kit (just $10) so i have bought that as well.
Will clean the old filter later today or tomorrow probably.

Let me know what are your thoughts on K&N air filters .....

Old 01-15-2013, 10:44 AM
Newest Of Newbies

How much does a Stock OEM Filter cost for 8th gen V6?

Old 01-15-2013, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Technocrat
How much does a Stock OEM Filter cost for 8th gen V6?
A factory air filter will cost you about $26

Old 01-15-2013, 04:56 PM

I've been running a K&N filter in my 2000 EX 4cyl for 10 years now. I just take it out once a year and clean/oil it and reinstall. It works fine.

Old 01-15-2013, 06:07 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by Wazari
A factory air filter will cost you about $26
Thanks for the info
Originally Posted by Jet sitter
I've been running a K&N filter in my 2000 EX 4cyl for 10 years now. I just take it out once a year and clean/oil it and reinstall. It works fine.
I think I will also go that way unless I get tempted to get a K&N Typhoon Filter

Quick Reply: best air filter for Accord 2000 EX V6