General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

best air filter for Accord 2000 EX V6

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 11:05 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by shipo
How do you know you had a good experience with your previous K&N; did you have your oil analyzed before and after you started using it so you can confirm contaminates like silicone (aka. sand) remained low?
I know because the car felt smoother, the mileage improved & since it was a small car the impact on Power with A/c on was much better than stock filter.

No I don't check internals & neither did I get the oil analyzed. I sold the car with the filter after using it for ~50K miles.

I know folks who have been using it without issues as well. Even if its a risk, i think I am willing to take it. If I find any negatives I can always remove it.

Old 01-17-2013, 11:18 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Technocrat
I know because the car felt smoother, the mileage improved & since it was a small car the impact on Power with A/c on was much better than stock filter.
If your car was an old vintage with a carbureted engine then yes, what you've written above is both possible and likely, however, if your car was a relatively late model with OBD-II engine controls then what you wrote is patently impossible. Assuming the latter, then the only possible improvement you would have noticed when you started using your K&N would have been if you replaced a horribly clogged filter with a new K&N, then your throttle response and top end output would have marginally improved (same as it would have if you'd put on a new factory filter); fuel economy wouldn't have changed regardless.

Old 01-17-2013, 11:49 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by shipo
If your car was an old vintage with a carbureted engine then yes, what you've written above is both possible and likely, however, if your car was a relatively late model with OBD-II engine controls then what you wrote is patently impossible. Assuming the latter, then the only possible improvement you would have noticed when you started using your K&N would have been if you replaced a horribly clogged filter with a new K&N, then your throttle response and top end output would have marginally improved (same as it would have if you'd put on a new factory filter); fuel economy wouldn't have changed regardless.
It wasn't a Carb car but one with an ECU, It was a small 3 cylinder car(Not in US & in a much dusty environment). I never said anything about top whack. Also it was K&N replacement filter.

Anyways, lets just agree to disagree, to each his own. All I need to decide now is whether to go for a replacement filter or a typhoon one.