General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

best air filter for Accord 2000 EX V6

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 07:21 PM

Volumetric efficiency of an engine changes very little if at all with a K & N or other cotton media type air filters unless you have done extensive modifications to your ports, exhaust system and cam specs. Also while these oiled cotton gauze filters may "flow" a little better, then also let in more dirt and a big part of engine wear in street engines is caused by dirt particles 5 to 30 microns is size. Unless you're running a highly modified engine or one with forced induction, then all an aftermarket oil-type filter is going to do your stock motor is cause slightly faster cylinder wall wear.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:57 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Yes, I am aware but that would probably mean that the engine would need work at 200k instead of 300k or so, I don't intend to keep the car that long anyways, so till the time its with me, I should be good

Old 01-16-2013, 12:52 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Technocrat
Yes, I am aware but that would probably mean that the engine would need work at 200k instead of 300k or so, I don't intend to keep the car that long anyways, so till the time its with me, I should be good
I've seen engines which used crap low restriction filters ruin the engine bearings in as little as fifty to sixty thousand miles. Like it or don't, for a daily driver there really is no replacement for an OEM spec air filter.

Old 01-16-2013, 12:54 PM

^So far I've run the K&N filter for at least 160K miles.

Old 01-16-2013, 01:30 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Jet sitter
^So far I've run the K&N filter for at least 160K miles.
Louisville, KY doesn't exactly qualify as a dusty environment; you could probably do as well with no airfilter at all.

Old 01-16-2013, 02:44 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by shipo
I've seen engines which used crap low restriction filters ruin the engine bearings in as little as fifty to sixty thousand miles. Like it or don't, for a daily driver there really is no replacement for an OEM spec air filter.
Its not a daily driver but it is my only car.

If not the Typhoon, I would surely go for stock replacement filter from K&N. Have had a good experience before with a K&N replacement filter on a much smaller car & in a much Dusty environment.

Old 01-16-2013, 03:46 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Technocrat
Its not a daily driver but it is my only car.

If not the Typhoon, I would surely go for stock replacement filter from K&N. Have had a good experience before with a K&N replacement filter on a much smaller car & in a much Dusty environment.
How do you know you had a good experience with your previous K&N; did you have your oil analyzed before and after you started using it so you can confirm contaminates like silicone (aka. sand) remained low?

Old 01-16-2013, 05:52 PM

I love your F4U Corsair, it's my favorite aircraft of all time.

Old 01-17-2013, 04:28 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Jet sitter
I love your F4U Corsair, it's my favorite aircraft of all time.
Thanks, mine too.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:07 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Its THE most important filter on the the whole car, dont go cheap. I'd buy from Honda.

Quick Reply: best air filter for Accord 2000 EX V6