General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Best/Easiest Method for Installing Harmonic Balancer For 96 Honda Accord

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 11:47 AM

Ok so once I got the harmonic balancer and belts on another problem arose. My car will not turn on! The last time I started it was a month ago with a newly installed alternator and all I have done since then was swap the new alternator that was in it with the old alternator and changed out the damaged harmonic balancer and key with new ones. I got my battery completely charged and the fuses look fine. I swear if it's not one thing it's another with this car. I have no clue why the car is not coming on. I even tried jumpstarting it and the car still didn't receive any power.

I took out the new alternator a month ago before this whole process because this harmonic balancer fix was a higher priority so I returned it to the store and got my money back. Could I have done something wrong to cause the car to not turn on when I switched the new alternator back to the old one?

Old 05-13-2013, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Have you checked all the main fuses; 100 A & 50A (?). If you getting no power to the dash or elsewhere it has to be a fuse or really bad battery lead connection.

good luck

Old 05-13-2013, 11:38 PM

Well here's a picture of the 80A fuse which is for the battery. All the other fuses have the wire connected inside but not sure if this one is blown or not. The 50A fuse is fine but I cannot locate the 100A fuse.

80A Fuse:

Old 05-14-2013, 05:48 AM

You have the 80A fuse which goes w/ F22B2 engine (non-vtec). There is no 100A fuse. This fuse is blown.

Check your alternator hookup. Easy to accidentally ground the B+ wire which goes from 80A to Alternator. If your 50A fuse (#18) is good, then alternator fault is certain since only load that draws the 80A fuse alone is the B+ line to alternator.

good luck

Old 05-14-2013, 06:28 PM

Ok I bought a new 80A fuse and the car started! I was able to drive it around for a while and then I checked under the hood while it was on and noticed that the harmonic balancer looked like it was shaking a little bit as it was rotating. Is it supposed to look like that when the car is running? I'll try to upload a video when my car battery is done charging.

Old 05-14-2013, 06:58 PM

Most likely reason is you haven't fully seated the harmonic balancer. Leading to wobbling. Time for a good check. Harmonic balancer must be fully seated against the crankshaft timing belt drive sprocket. Did you install spacer washer behind sprocket? w/o spacer washer it might be possible for bolt to "bottom out" in the crankshaft leading to the torque issues you experienced.

Do you have a shop manual w/ a diagram of parts arrangement?

It is also possible for harmonic balancer to be damaged (rubber bushing worn and loose). Check whether outer pulley can be rotated independent of inner drive section.

good luck

Old 05-15-2013, 05:09 PM

Here's a video of the harmonic balancer while the car is running. I know the camera is kinda shaky but try to see if you can see the harmonic balancer sort of move left and right.

Old 05-15-2013, 06:06 PM

I would check whether you can rock the harmonic balancer w/ force top/bottom and side/side. There should be no movement or free play.

good luck

Old 05-20-2013, 04:42 PM

I think I'm gonna just try to remove it and then tighten it again starting with the torque wrench to make sure it's on solid.