General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blowing oil from both ends?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 12:00 PM
skinsgamer
Unregistered
Default Blowing oil from both ends?

Hi, newbie here. I have a 1983 Honda Accord with 240K, she is blowing oil out the dipstick and some out the tailpipe. Do I need to replace the engine or is there a less intrusive fix?

Thanks.

Old 08-03-2007, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: Blowing oil from both ends?

Probably a Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) system fault. Check PCV valve and hoses for blockages. Make sure connection points to throttle body, valve cover, and air intake are open and clean.

good luck

Old 08-03-2007, 12:15 PM

It sounds like you've got one heck of a bad cylinder, you could do a compression test to confirm that but from the sounds of it that motor is beyond toasted....

Old 08-03-2007, 09:41 PM

how much oil comes out of the tail pipe ?

Old 08-03-2007, 09:55 PM
skinsgamer
Unregistered

Hmm, not like it drips but enough to create a carbon spot on the driveway where the tailpipe aims. You have to be reving it to get any blow by.

Oddly, it runs great when it's not spewing oil out the dipstick. This past winter it finally put so much pressure on the valve cover it blew by the distributor gasket and that's when I had to retire her. My 17 year old is about to be licensed so I wanted to get her up and running for him. Local auto recycler says he can get me a medium mileage engine for about $300.00 so I think my boy and I will be doing a project together. Which is of course okay.

Old 08-18-2007, 05:29 PM
skinsgamer
Unregistered

Okay, I've decided to clean the entire crankcase ventilation system out (don't think that been done in 240K), then change the valve cover gasket and maybe the distributor O ring. It's leaking from that area. I'll determine where specifically when I have it apart. What I need to know is and this dumb!! How do I get the valve cover off? Haynes tells me how to remove the engine, adjust the valves ... but not how to simply remove the cover. I looked and it's not as intuitive as I would've thought. There are 2 bolts on top holding other stuff in place and I suspect they may also hold the valve cover on, but figured I'd ask before tearing something up.

On my 78 midget (1500cc) it's cover uses 2 bolts in about the same place.

Also, is there anything elso I should change while I'm there that makes logical sense?

Thanks,

Old 08-20-2007, 10:59 AM
skinsgamer
Unregistered

Okay, one more dumb question. Looking through Haynes again. I'm trying to verify the PCV valve is working properly, normally it's located on the valve cover. On the 83 Honda I don't see a PCV at all. Haynes doesn't mention one in the muanual. Shows hose going from valve cover to an evaporator on the bottom of the air cleaner.

Kragen showed a PCV used on 83 $5.00.

Does my Honda have a PCV valve? If so, where?

Thanks again.

Old 08-20-2007, 12:08 PM

maybe?

Old 08-20-2007, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

On most cars, the PCV and hose runs from the valve cover or crankcase to the intake manifold or throttle body. Look for another larger hose going to throttle body or intake system.

The hose from air filter to valve cover is the air inlet to the crankcase. PCV would not be on either end of this hose.

I looked at Majestic Honda for 83 Accord and could not find a PCV, however their menu system makes finding anything a challenge.

good luck

Old 08-20-2007, 01:10 PM

ORIGINAL: TexasHonda

I looked at Majestic Honda for 83 Accord and could not find a PCV, however their menu system makes finding anything a challenge.
X2!! To find things you really gotta know what you are looking for and what system it is included in. Sometimes even if you knowboth of thoseyou can't find it!A few times it has taken me nearly 30 minutes to find the part I am looking for.