General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Powersteering

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 01:14 AM
Default Powersteering

I have a 1990 Accord Ex with a steering problem, When ever I let the steering wheel go, it jerks to the right, it dosent pull to the right it jerks hard, like almost if I was making a right turn. Well i know that there is air my my powersteering system. Well my question is Can I disconnect the powersteering, I actully feel I have better control of the car without it. There is another problem to with my steering. When I make a right turn the car will stop when i straighten out the wheelthe car will just stop and start jumping till i let go of the gasIam thinking that it is my halfshafts because when it the engine stops turning the wheel, the problem stops, also when i am driving staight it bounces up and down.

Old 08-20-2007, 10:51 AM
Default RE: Powersteering

Make sure that you have good air pressure in all your tires, a low tire can cause some of those symptoms. Also, does any of this happen when braking or is all of this just under normal driving?

As for the power steering someone else should verify this but I believe you can just disconnect the power steering pump belt and drive it like that.... If you know that there is air in the system why not bleed it?

Old 08-20-2007, 12:16 PM

The reason I dont bleed it is because I also have a Crx and that dosent have powersteering and I like the way that it feels without powersteering, and yes it does happen when I am braking also when I let out the clutch to shift.

Old 08-20-2007, 02:50 PM

It almost sounds like the brake on your right side is grabbing, or the tire is low.... inspect the front end, right side very carefully and see if anything jumps out at you.