General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blown Head Gasket: What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 04:30 PM
Default Blown Head Gasket: What to do?

I have a 1996 Honda Accord. It's in "fair" condition, paint job has gone to pot but the body is in pretty good shape, as is the interior, upholstery is clean and holding up. ****ty after market moon roof that some genius who owned it before me installed, which didn't work when I got it, leaked, and has since be caulked up in a not very aesthetic fashion. It has ~150k miles on it.

After the man I formerly thought of as my mechanic did some routine work on it but left the radiator cap off, my engine overheated, badly, because I didn't notice. Because, I don't know, I trusted the guy! Since then there's a number of things that have gone wrong: water pump needed replacement, heater hose blew, instrument cluster died/replaced, vehicle speed sensor died/replaced, thermostat replaced.

Now, the engine has trouble starting and I have been told by a different repair shop that the head gasket is blown, and they're asking ~$1300 for the whole she-bang. The car is worth ~$1600 KBB IF I get the damn thing running again AND sell it myself, I don't think paying that much makes sense.

I have only done fairly minor repairs to my car thusfar, but I have friends who have actual shop experience, and tools, and space to work. They estimate 2 days of work to get it done, with $100-200 for the gaskets, assuming the cylinder head isn't warped. If we go that route I am seriously imposing on my friends, putting a lot of time into it, and in the end I may need a new (refurbished) cylinder head. On the other hand, I'd probably learn a lot in the process, avoid spending stupid amounts of money, and having a running car.

Is it time to call it quits on this car? Pro-tips on gasket replacement? What would you do?

Old 08-24-2012, 09:17 PM

You can try a bottle of bars head gasket sealer. Worked for my Camry

Old 08-25-2012, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator

I'd confirm the HG is blown.

If so, then do this over two weekends. First weekend, get the head off. On Monday take it to a machine shop and have it checked. Once you get it back from the machine shop, put it back together.

Old 08-25-2012, 11:03 AM
Default Agreed

Originally Posted by poorman212
I'd confirm the HG is blown.

If so, then do this over two weekends. First weekend, get the head off. On Monday take it to a machine shop and have it checked. Once you get it back from the machine shop, put it back together.
A Head Gasket is not a hard job to do. The hardest part would be the timing but if you follow the repair manual you can do it with little pain. I'd say you will prolly end up paying anywhere from $150 (if nothing is really wrong) to $400 (if you need new valves and seats and such) for the head, get it cleaned regardless, and go for it. Be sure to replace your head studs, probably less than but close to $100 for the set. Either way you will save a ton of loot doing it yourself. No reason to give up!!!