General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

bogging at start-up

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 11:51 AM
Default bogging at start-up

I drive an 02 ex-v6(auto) and I've been having an intermittent problem with getting my car started recently. If I turn the car off for a couple minutes, between two and five minutes, and then start it, it will turn over with no problems and rev up to about 2k before it starts to fall down. once it falls down, it'll struggle for a couple seconds to keep the revs above 500 and it'll start to bog down until it just dies completely. giving it gas doesn't help or make it worse. if I then turn the car off and restart it the engine will turn over fine and the ordeal is done. I don't have problems with the car other than that. Spark plugs are pretty new as is my battery. To me, it seems like I've got a problem with fuel delivery, but I can't put my finger on what the problem would be. I had to replace my fuel pump at 60K so I'm wondering if its related to a bad seal or connection there. Unforunately, it doesn't happen consistently enough for me to show a mechanic/dealership.

Has anyone else had a similar problem or can anyone point me in the right direction on where to start looking?

Old 10-04-2009, 09:56 PM
Super Moderator

For a warm start, try holding the gas pedal 1/2 way when starting.
See if it makes a difference letting more air in.
There was a service news article that spells that out.

Old 10-05-2009, 09:20 PM

where did you find this article? what's weird is that sometimes more throttle will work, but its got to be lot of throttle. other times it'll die no matter what.

edit* also I had my transmission replaced 15K ago (about two years). seems like a long shot, but could that have anything to do with it?

Last edited by andthegood; 10-05-2009 at 09:26 PM.
Old 10-09-2009, 12:01 PM

*bump*

anyone?

Old 10-09-2009, 04:06 PM
Super Moderator

Do you mean to tell me that you didn't save all those service news flyers that your service manager hands out every week?
You rookies are all the same. LOL
I also would not rule out an injector leaking thru.
You can also try turning on the key and letting the fuel pressure build up 10-15 seconds before cranking.

Last edited by hondadude; 10-09-2009 at 04:10 PM.
Old 10-13-2009, 12:39 PM

I wish I could say I knew what service news fliers you were talking about, but I've never received anything regarding any of the TSB's on this car or anything from the dealership other than coupons for free brake inspections which I respecfully declined. I did buy it used if that means anything.
Unfortunately, I always let the fuel system pressurize and have since I got the car. Its just a habit. I've suspected a leaky injector so I might just check those. Do you think it could have anything to do with the sensor that adjusts the idle higher to warm the car up (can't remember what its called)? Maybe when the engine cuts off, the engine bay gets really hot due to lack of air flow and this sensor tries to compensate by dropping the idle entirely too low?

Old 10-13-2009, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator

The dude is teasing you. He's talking about service newsletters that are given to dealer-mechanics. Honda doesn't send service newsletters & TSB's to car-owners.