General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Bogs or stumbles or slips

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 09:53 PM
Default Bogs or stumbles or slips

All,

Ive been searching for help on this issue for a long time and thought you guys could help.

My son has a 2004 Accord LX 2.4l. After driving for a while or letting the car sit running and then drive, it will slip and bog after slowing down then trying to speed back up, leaving him vulnerable when entering the highway or pulling out into an intersection. We thought it was the transmission and had it rebuilt only to have the same problem. Replaced the cat, same problem. The weird thing is that it is intermittent. Only does it when the weather is warm. Warm as in we live in DFW. Never did it during the winter months. I am stumped. The car has 180000 miles. Runs smooth as silk all the time except for when it stumbles. Still not sure what to call it. I dont think its fuel related.

Any help would be appreciated. Were trying to get this fixed before school starts.

Thanks in advance for your time and ideas.

Old 07-23-2013, 10:10 PM

Sorry. I forgot to mention that there has never been any codes. Transmission or engine. At this point I wish it had a code.

Old 07-23-2013, 10:22 PM
Super Moderator

I merged your threads.

Old 07-24-2013, 09:13 AM
Super Moderator

initially it sounds like a transmission problem. when was the last service done on it? has the filter ever been changed? does the vehicle ever die when this is happening?

Old 07-24-2013, 08:19 PM

Thanks for your thoughts. The transmission was rebuilt about 8 months ago because I thought it was the problem even though it had no shifting issues. It shifts perfect. That's what has me stumped. No codes ever. Never does when thi happens. Just when you push the gas, the rpms drop to 0 from normal idle rpm and it will not go. Never dies. Let it sit for a minute then drives on. Crazy.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:39 PM
Super Moderator

This part may be the clue, "the rpms drop to 0 from normal idle rpm and it will not go. Never dies. Let it sit for a minute then drives on."

Tachometer
The tachometer is controlled by the power supply circuit/controller area network controller built-into the gauge control module. The power supply
circuit/controller area network controller receives engine speed information from the ECM/PCM through the fast controller area network transceiver
via the MICU. The ECM/PCM receives engine speed information from the crankshaft position sensor.

It may be a problem with the Multiplex Integrated Control Unit (MICU), the wiring, or the ECM/PCM. The MICU is incorporated into the driver's underdash fuse/relay box.

Here is a Honda TSB regarding the MICU which may cause a no-start or stalling condition.

Honda TSB 05-014

Old 07-24-2013, 08:54 PM
Super Moderator

Check the car's VIN against the VIN range listed for the safety recall, you may be able to get the MICU replaced for no charge whether that turns out to be the problem or not. That may at least rule out the MICU if they replace it and the problem still exist.

Last edited by redbull-1; 07-24-2013 at 09:04 PM.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:39 PM

Thanks. I will check in to that. Makes sense. Would temperature play a role in causing this to malfunction? Also being that it doesn't happen when its cooler outside, could the A/C be contributing to the malfunction? Extra load on the MICU?

Old 07-24-2013, 10:59 PM
Super Moderator

The Multiplex Control System sends digital signals between control units through shared wires to reduce the number wires through harness and reduce the weight of wire harnesses. The digital signals are sent from one multiplex control unit to another as serial data over dedicated communication lines.

Only EX-L and V6-EX's climate control are part the sharing of signals on the multiplex network. LX A/C was not listed as sharing signals on the multiplex network.

So based on some of the information I am seeing, operating the A/C on the LX shouldn't affect the Multiplex Control System.

Last edited by redbull-1; 07-25-2013 at 12:20 AM.